AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Remembering old country stores
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

aray63
Posted 10/12/2018 21:28 (#7043656)
Subject: Remembering old country stores

barry county mi
We had 2 in our little mt town. One was Clint Wolfes always by the owners name in our part of the country. The other Johnny Bolyards . Johnny also drove the school bus. Him and Kate had several things ,bulk cookies fresh meat as well as cure pork. milk GB bread,baked down the road 9 miles at grafton wva the driver was probably the owner, he had a bad leg ,just guessing polio or ww 11 wound. Now Clints in late 50s early 60s If you were in highscool you could go over there at noon and get dinner for 20 cents . That would be a rather thick slice of beloney and a slice of longhorn cheese mild coby. and a pop. same price as hot lunch at our highschool Fellowsville High GO WOLVES. ha ha What a great place it was. We started out in the first grade with nearly 30 kids in fall of 1950 and finish in spring of 1963 with 16.Clint would sell you 2 or however many shot gun shells you could aford at the time you needed then. or a no 2 joy loader shovel as we called them when i was working in the mines when I was a kid. You could get the straight handled one for loading in low coal. some 30 to 35 inches. I believe bakerstown coal was lower than that. I dont know how them boys were able to do that but in those days you had to work if you wanted to eat. No checks in the mail. He would sell you hog feed he had different kinds some you would mix water with, Man those hogs would squel when you dumped the slop in the trough. Quick little hog story .Brother got married and we were having the reception at my house and I had 3 fairly good size hogs maybe 300 lbs and a grandpal that was pretty drunk at this point in the afternoon after the wedding and my older 1st cousin desided we needed to do something with what was left in the keg. well you guessed it the hogs got a few gallons of beer made in Pittsburg Pa and holly cow you never seen anything like 3 very drunk hogs. The acked simler to a very happy but very drunk man It was very hot I was sure this beer was going to kill my butcher hogs. But it ended well for the hogs and grandpal. Clint would carry what ever you wanted to the cash register as most things were behind the counter. The old guys would go there to loaf. In the winter they would set around the big burnside stove and in warm weather they would set outside and swittle on a piece of wood or on the 3 by 8 they were setting on. It was the main hub for these old guys born in the late 1800s. I guess if I could spell I could go on for hrs talking about things the people born in the last 50 years or so dont give a hott about. ha ha They , when I lived there the salt of the earth people, Archie
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)