AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Update on that LLC question last week.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 10/11/2018 20:45 (#7041449)
Subject: Update on that LLC question last week.

Please read this first. Though my side/hobby business does mostly ag work, it is NOT a farm. Therefore this update may not, or likely will not, apply to you as a farm. But none the less is an update on an LLC question.

Prior thread.

Ok, talked with my attorney that started the LLC for me. He phrased it as "I do not disagree with anything your insurance agent said". In my case, Oregon, and being the sole owner of the LLC, there is no way to show any sort of separation from the the decision(s) made that may cause the liability issue. An llc in my case served no real value. (in your state and you being a farm, that may be quite different) In a serious case like if I caused great harm to one's health or even a death, in Oregon, 25% on my income can be garnished, all my retirement investments other than a 401 and social security are at risk, and my house, though can not be taken from me, can have a lien put against it. These among other things. The llc would do nothing to stop it.

So I then talked to my accountant. She agrees with a few here that stated there is no real tax benefit (to me) being an llc. If I can save my business name acronym and just drop the llc, I will do so. Otherwise I have to rename the business. Nothing changes at her end as far as taxes or accounting.

But insurance wise, I am hopeful that many of the restrictions  I had being insured as an llc, will be gone. Again, this is in Oregon where insurance rules likely differ from yours. Each state may have completely different rules regarding how they approach insuring a business. I know my premium will be way more affordable even if the restriction remain. But I think many will be gone.

Edited by Old Pokey 10/11/2018 20:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)