AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When did the American Farmer become an entitled "welfare mom"?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

5 Star
Posted 9/19/2018 11:15 (#6996693)
Subject: When did the American Farmer become an entitled "welfare mom"?

Greetings all. I just stumbled across this forum. I've read quite a few threads and have a question I'm hoping you can answer. During what period did the American Farmer become an entitled "welfare mom"? I doubt it was WWII timeframe, so was it the 50's?, 60's, 70's, or 80's? I wasn't able to farm so I haven't kept up with it for the last 30ish years. My father wasn't very good at it and shut down in the 80's. Grandfather refused to let him latch on to the govt. teat so they stopped before they lost the centennial farm. If he could only see this forum. Oh boy.

I know some of you will get your dander up at the comparison. If you honestly look at it, there are similarities. The welfare mom goes to the grocery to spend her bridge card in an escalade, talking on an I-phone. The farmer goes to the coffee shop in an $80k pickup, and vacations in Arizona & Hawaii. You might say "but we grow food to feed the earth's population so we can pat ourselves on the back". That is true, but there is someone who could do it without the need for a handout.

I mentioned in a thread way below, and I guess what I'm getting at, is what makes you so special now that you're caught in a row with China? Where were you when your neighbors who owned Manufacturing/Machine shops went belly up when their work went to China? It didn't affect you so you didn't care, right? You kept right on shopping at Walmart & Harbor Freight, vacationing, driving expensive trucks, all while getting govt. handouts. How do you justify that lifestyle while taking subsidies? I know that doesn't apply to everyone, but I'd say a majority of the posters on here.

I believe at it's core, farming is a noble profession. It is the way God intended us to live, but we screwed that up. Unfortunately, like everything else, it has been corrupted with welfare and corporatism.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)