AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

decision time...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

johnwayne360
Posted 8/18/2018 15:54 (#6936386)
Subject: decision time...

near dyersville iowa
have a 15 acre pasture and 20 cows. no perimeter fence on the farm to speak of. Cows are getting too expensive to feed, would be cheaper if i put perimeter fence in. But, working off the farm, seems i never have time to get that done. fence would probably be close to a mile..so im figuring 15k to get fence put in. Not sure if its worth it for 20 cows.

Part of the pasture (8 acres) had been row cropped 20 years ago. I basically quit cropping the 10 acres because parts of it floods at least once a year. Had trouble even crossing the creek to get to it. So..i could row crop 10 acres or so..and its good ground..just have to find a way to put in a creek crossing that would actually stay...I had a silo taken down a couple years ago..used that to make a crossing..and even those staves are washing away slowly. So..wondering if crops would pay for the new creek crossing..i have no idea how to do it..or how much it would cost to do it right.

last thing i want is 15 acres of weeds growing..but it just seems that im kind of screwed no matter what i do.

Kind of wondering if the farm would be worth more or less if i either built a fence..or improved the pasture for row crops.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)