AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Today's project a plastic hopper protection plate.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 3/8/2018 18:45 (#6629532)
Subject: Today's project a plastic hopper protection plate.

Old hopper on the drill fill auger was hard plastic. I fill a lot of times on gravel surface at the barn. The drill hopper stays in place on the ground in the center and the top end swings along the curved track side to side. Not much movement just a little bit of pivoting. Over the years the gravel has worn through the bottom of the old hopper. Copious amounts of duct tape have kept things from getting worse and giving a surface to take the wear.

I bought a new hopper from Rust Evader when I picked up the other stuff I needed

New hopper is made by Flexahopper Plastics Lethbridge AB Canada.

I wanted to make a protective metal boot to keep from wearing into the new hopper.

Once again cardboard templates come in very handy for shaping what is needed.

I was going to try and make it out of one piece but the compound angles made it tough to get even consistent bends and get the exact dimension due to trying to gauge just where the bend will actually happen. 

So after scrapping that idea I came up with 1 piece with not quite a 90° bend and the other 2 side pieces cut to shape and welded in place. This also allowed for a more precise and tight fit to the actual hopper contours.

This turned out making a nice custom fit.

Several 1/4" holes will be used to secure it to the bottom of the plastic hopper I will use large fender washers to spread the clamping force over more area of the plastic hopper.

Primed and drying for paint tomorrow.

Edited for future reference:

Painted and installed with large fender washers.

Inside the hopper more of a curved surface So I just went with the fender washers. 2 of them I had to bend an edge on the washer to avoid interfering with the contoured curved plastic inside the hopper.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)