AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

And So It Begins
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 1/10/2018 16:44 (#6494560)
Subject: And So It Begins

south east Indiana
Pitch black outside, I stood at the back door whistled for the pups to come in last night, hoping they would be ready to take an after dinner nap after romping outside for 45 minutes. Two of the four pups came eager to enter where it was dry and warm. The two pups that showed up were the two that are usually last. Huh wonder what is up? Grab my coat and spot light as I call again. My light catches movement in the temporary ram pen at the edge of the yard. Abby has been crawling into the pen off and on. She comes when called and I have been lifting her out, no problem. The problem is a split faced little ball of fire - Skye.
She is actively herding the ram lambs. Balancing every so nicely on the Opposite side of the sheep. The gate has been frozen shut for weeks hopefully I can convince her to come over to the fence. Calling sweetly doesn't entice her, the sheep are more fun. They stand in a group staring at me as if to say, "Really, what is the deal with this little thing, you know we could stomp her if we wanted." I tell them I am getting her. At least trying really hard to get her.

I go get Jess, hoping Skye comes over to see Jess allowing me to snag her. Jess runs around the outside of the pen just egging Skye on, adding to my frustration. Dang, plan C ? Ok go get Meg, pry the gate loose enough to squeeze in. I ask Meg to go around the rams, holding them against the fence. Hopefully I can grab Skye as she is concentrating on sheep allowing me to get close enough. Wrong, silly me. She jumps at the nose of the ram staring at her sending the whole group around the pen. Little bugger, doesn't she know she is 20 lbs and they are 120. I try to juggle the spot light to keep an eye on the 5 rams and 2 dogs , not do a header in the slick mud all while trying to figure out the next capture attempt.

I know, I will have Meg put them in the dog kennel then catch Skye. A few minutes of commands and walk ups and 'I am going to tan your hide little pup', 'get out the way', 'stop herding the sheep let Meg put them in the pen'... 10 min later got the easy part done - Sheep were Penned. Now I just have to catch Skye.

it would have easy except she was still balancing sheep to me, now just on the other side of a dog kennel. Getting darker and chilly, no stars or moon tonight. Sure hope my spot light holds out. Opps there is a big hole, better not break an ankle. A few choice words, a few sticks thrown Skye was finally figuring out I was none to pleased. She walks up to me with her head down, "what's the problem, we were just herding sheep. That's what I am supposed to do"

Unauthorized sheep herding in the dark with ankle deep mud with a 4 mo. old pup so focused on sheep I am invisible. I see a long line and a lesson on how to call off stock in her very near future.

Meg started very similar to that, except in the day light, no surprise her pups have sheep on the brain already. Secretly I am thrilled, although more thrilled in the daylight than last night. Skye has been watching sheep since she was 9 weeks old. These girls are going to give me a run for my money. Jumping up to grab a rams nose, not sure Skye is a firery enough name.

Looks innocent enough in these photos doesn't she...

Edited by denice.r 1/10/2018 16:47

(20180101_091424.jpg)

(DSC_0031.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20180101_091424.jpg (78KB - 47 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0031.JPG (166KB - 44 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)