AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MPAC
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rank
Posted 8/17/2017 22:54 (#6194189)
Subject: MPAC

SEON
I submitted Requests For Reconsideration forms on 14 properties this spring. Prior to submitting them, I called MPAC and asked how they arrived at such crazy high valuations. They said 1) recent sales and 2) they used the soil class maps from the Ontario Ministry of Ag. OK fine.

So I went to OMAFRA's Agwebs website and calculated all the acres of all the different soil classes. Surprise, MPAC's acres were way off and not to my benefit. MPAC had much of my land classified at class 2 which is a joke. We're talking 6" of top soil over limestone shale bedrock. Not deep enough for corn and not deep enough to ever tile drain. Assessor came to look at the properties but I don't think he believed the land was so shallow. He said "If it can grow a crop it's class 3". Well I reject that notion because it's nowhere near what OMAFRA's soil class definition says. In the end, the assessor reduced each property by ~$100,000 (about 20%) I still think it's to high and just a money grab. If southwestern Ontario is class 1 and 2 there is no way I am class 2 and 3.

if I understand correct, the next step is to appeal before the property board just wondering of it was a waste of time.

Edited by rank 8/18/2017 17:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

• MPAC - rank : 8/17/2017 22:54

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)