AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Post advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

SOILcattleman
Posted 8/17/2017 11:19 (#6192852)
Subject: Post advice

West Salem, Illinois
I have been working on my old feedlot for the past few years and need a little help moving forward. I have been hesitant moving forward on this project because I want to do it once! I recently found a source for what I believe will be great posts, they are 4" box tubing with 1/2" walls new material the kicker is they are drops so they are different size pieces, this is where I need some other input. Most of the pieces are 4' plus with some being as long as 11', my question is on a bunk line similar to a lot of them that you guys post on here do I need to set a 8' post even if there will be concrete around it? I envision this bunk line to be similar to what Gary is doing so what I have is my existing pad I was going to knock holes set my posts than form up on either side of the post and pour the bunk floor, I will either run a 2x10 along the front edge or form a wall with concrete than on the back I will definitely set angle iron and run a couple boards. So could I get by with say a 6' post embedded a foot into the concrete and five above with pipe welded between? Or do I need to set a 8' post with still a foot embedded in the concrete and 2' below in the dirt? Like I mentioned this is for the bunk line so I see this fence getting more pressure than say a dividing fence because the cattle will constantly be pushing against it. Back to the posts my plan was to lay say three 4' pieces together weld the joints, so now I have a 12' post which I could cut in half, do I need to be cautious where this welded joint ends up at? does it need to definitely be in the ground or towards the top of the post? I believe I am a competent welder, not a professional.

Thanks, Jeremy

Edited by SOILcattleman 8/17/2017 13:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)