AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

3450 Meter Sniper -- Just How Far Is That
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Robert W Greif
Posted 6/24/2017 19:42 (#6088244)
Subject: 3450 Meter Sniper -- Just How Far Is That

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463
3450 Meter Sniper

After hearing about the 3,450 meter sniper shot, I got to thinking about just how far is 3450 meters. I know over two miles, 2.15. About 11,385’

So I opened up Google Earth, put a placemark on my porch. Then using the distance device, I went out to 3,450 meters. Swing it around to find a point to reference too. Found the south east corner of one of my renter’s chicken house was almost on the money.
I can’t see that far. To much stuff in the way.

So I decided to pick a landmark in town. The grain elevator. So using the distance device again went out to 3,450 meters.
Found a point on the gravel road south west of town.

Drove out there and trees blocking the view. So I drove into the nearby Brenton Arboretum. It should be about the same distance.

Then in the arboretum I stopped at points that I could identify on Google Earth. Then took pictures of the elevator. Some stops had trees in the way.

Got back to the house and looked at the pictures. Then on Google Earth I measured the distance on the better photos.
Came up with the one below as the best combination of a decent picture and close to 3,450 meters.

The north elevator of the Dallas Center location of Heartland Co-op is at the Red arrow.
The lower image is a save from Google Earth. The distance from the elevator to the photo spot in the Brenton Arboretum.
Elevator as North Elevator. Arboretum spot as 03.

That line is 3378 meters long, or 11,147’, or 2.11 miles
So 72 meters, or 238’ short of the shot.

Sure looks like a longways to take a shot!

My feeling on what happened:
The Canadian troopers saw something happening, probably an ambush, not good.
The ISIS person or persons were at a location that the Canadian troops had identified on the map. They knew the distance.

The purpose of the shot was to scar the ISIS persons away.
If a .50 rounds lands near you, wouldn’t you become concerned pretty quick? Maybe leave the area?
An artillery round or rounds would have been better, but there probably was not time for that.

It was a lucky shot. Not taking anything away from the skill or patriotism of the soldiers involved. . They did a great job for their county and the free world.

(DSC07245.JPG)

(3378 Meters.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC07245.JPG (121KB - 79 downloads)
Attachments 3378 Meters.jpg (84KB - 89 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)