AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 4850 MFWD clutch
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

sandfarm
Posted 6/19/2017 12:34 (#6078950)
Subject: JD 4850 MFWD clutch

North Central, NE
The other day I roaded the 4850 a short ways (about a mile) for fuel. I turned off the MFWD for the roading. When I pulled up to the fuel barrel the was light smoke coming from under the tractor. When I shut the tractor down it stopped right away.

After a little diagnosis smoking turned out to be the wires running the MFWD clutch. The clutch requires 12V to disengage the clutch. So as long as I leave the MFWD switch to "ON" on the dash then everything is good. Apparently turning the switch to "OFF" transmits power to the clutch. There must not be any fuse or anything as the wires smoke as soon as the switch is flipped. Must be drawing so much power it's burning the wires.

I've continued to run it with the MFWD engaged. MFWD pulls just fine so clutch is engaged. I can see there is a little bit of plastic melted in the connector running to the clutch.

What do I need to be looking for (other than a short in the wiring) when I look for the problem? Can the MFWD clutch be tested with an electrical tester? Does anybody know how much resistance the clutch should have?

Also - is there any potential remedies other than ordering a rebuilt clutch?

Thanks in advance to anybody who has knowledge of these old 50 series. I did some searching on here (and the internet generally) and didn't find a response.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)