AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Quadtrac 450 transmission problems-Update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pirlbeck
Posted 5/13/2017 09:31 (#6015260)
Subject: Quadtrac 450 transmission problems-Update

West Central Iowa
A month ago I made several posts about a transmission slipping and filter plugging problem a customer was having with a newly purchased 2011 Quadtrac 450. Here are the links to the previous posts.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=699939&posts=1...

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=700437&posts=1...

Besides plugging trans filters the transmission was also slipping in a number of gears.

After doing some pressure tests and driving it to figure out what gears were all affected, we were able to determine that the problem was in the 5F clutch. Before we tore it down we also tested all the other clutch pressures to be sure we did not have a problem in any other clutches.

After getting some excellent help from this sites Jim Naden, SDman and farmall we decided the transmission was going to have to come out which required removal of the cab. As my shop is only 16ft hi we decided to pull the cab and transmission outside rather then get in a situation where we could not get the cab off and not be able to move the tractor.

When we got the transmission out and the 5F clutch apart we found the piston seals blown and the clutches burnt and pretty much destroyed. Due to the labor (and the low hours on the tractor 2243) involved to tear all of the clutch packs apart for inspection (everything is pressed together and very heavy) we decided to air test all the packs and visually inspect them. We could find no other problems so we rebuilt the 5F clutch and put it together.

After it was back together and running, all pressures checked out fine, it calibrated out with no problems and all the calibration values look good. At some point it must of been calibrated with the bad 5F clutch as the existing calibration values for 5F were way out of the normal range.

I took some pictures when we were pulling the cab but I was running the knuckle boom at the same time and I was shooting into the sun and it was sunny, but kind of foggy/hazy that day and they did not turn out very well.

Edit to add, It also looks like my camera lens has a finger smudge on it.

Edited by pirlbeck 5/13/2017 18:04

(IMG_1326A.jpg)

(IMG_1333.jpg)

(IMG_1336.jpg)

(IMG_1341.jpg)

(IMG_1343.jpg)

(IMG_1370.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1326A.jpg (94KB - 316 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1333.jpg (134KB - 334 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1336.jpg (83KB - 289 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1341.jpg (98KB - 296 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1343.jpg (118KB - 279 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1370.JPG (143KB - 283 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)