AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Meats and Grains May 1st
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

peaceman
Posted 4/30/2017 13:26 (#5991838)
Subject: Meats and Grains May 1st

Oklahoma Panhandle
Beef, Dairy and Pigs
In 1957 we lost 20% of our cow herds around here. The cattle just drowned in a drift. I'm not sure we are there yet but there are a lot of little calves dead in a drift right now. Most of the herds out here are lost. This will be devastating to some families out here. The feed yard/dairy/pork employees can't get to work and the ranchers can't leave their houses. It is a totally helpless feeling. I don't think most prepared for this as it is way worse than expected. The drifting now is substantial. 50 mile an hour winds and there is zero visibility and every road is closed in feedlot country. To make matters worse the power is gone and the only hope the feed mills have is backup generator, which most have.

Corn
There was a lot of corn planted here the last half of the week. I would guess up to 25% of the total area. People that normally plant in May were planting as the April corn was so much better last year. I know corn is resilient but a quick death is for the first drink to be below 50 degrees.

Wheat
Is it froze? I don't know the wind chill is very low. My concern would be how flat it is. Blowing snow has laid the wheat on the ground and now is piling on. It will be very low quality and will be very hard to harvest. 14" in this area right now and there are drifts up to 10 feet.

I would think most ag markets would open higher. How much do You want to sell tomorrow?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)