AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tillage, Cover Crops, etc...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

IL Luke
Posted 8/13/2016 08:09 (#5466503)
Subject: Tillage, Cover Crops, etc...

I made some mistakes this spring on a small acerage parcel (5 acres) with Soybeans. It's too long of a story to get into but the bottom line is, I lost them to weeds and volunteer corn. My local Co-op guy says I need to terminate everything in order to prevent further issues. Problem is, they can't come in and do a burn down because the field is land locked by another mans field and apparently they've had some bad blood in the past.

I wanted to stay away from tillage but that may be the only way to get a fresh start. It's an Aweful mess right now. I've already gotten over this year, I just want to make a good seedbed for next year.

If I figure out a way to spray it myself, then I'll have to continue to do so until we get a good frost, right?

I'm leaning towards mowing it, doing some light tillage and following with a cover crop like rye.
Or should I just keep disking it to keep things down and turn it over with a chisel this fall?

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first year out, and I'm learning, without much help around here. Everyone makes mistakes, I'm just trying not to make anymore major ones this year.

Thanks,
Luke
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)