AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Silencers , Iowa, in Iowa Farmer today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chris
Posted 4/1/2016 10:52 (#5214491)
Subject: Silencers , Iowa, in Iowa Farmer today

East central Iowa

I just read a letter in the Iowa Farmer Today (Vol 32. No 32)  that is anti silencer for hunting and target shooting.  He (I assume he) stated that the Iowa Legislature legalized silencers on guns.  Then went on to say they (the legislature)  are always for hunters and that hunters will sneak onto lands and hunt without being heard.

Recently I talked with an expert who was perturbed that Iowa was only one of 7 states that didn't allow silencers.  It would be a boon to target shooters and those who live near but not in towns.  There are many positives about having a silencer and the only negatives are made up.

To legally have a silencer in ANY state requires a FFL that cost $200 and you have to pass a comprehensive background check.   (eliminates a lot of people)

Second, silencers do completely quiet a gun.  They don't work on high powered, high velocity rifles and don't generally work on shotguns.  Nor do the work effectively on many handguns.

The movies and TV have portrayed them in a completely false light, just as they do welding and hundreds of other things.

I only wish Iowa wasn't one of 7 states in the 50 that didn't allow silencers.  It would be nice to shoot subsonic .22's at targets without the hearing protectors, would be especially nice for teaching younger shooters

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)