AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Japanese Beetle damge ? effect yield Pics
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gambler
Posted 7/27/2008 14:10 (#422965)
Subject: Japanese Beetle damge ? effect yield Pics

Does japanese bean leaf beetle effect yield on soybeans ? seems to me I heard they aren't a real threat

sorry for poor pictures when i see things that cost me money i get shaky

And does anyone know how to control the weed in last picture grows in ditch and sneeks into fields

Edited by Gambler 7/27/2008 14:16

(007.JPG)

(003.JPG)

(013.JPG)

(015.JPG)

(0014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 007.JPG (63KB - 250 downloads)
Attachments 003.JPG (62KB - 238 downloads)
Attachments 013.JPG (119KB - 229 downloads)
Attachments 015.JPG (126KB - 273 downloads)
Attachments 0014.jpg (76KB - 242 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
B58 Hustler
Posted 7/27/2008 14:51 (#422977 - in reply to #422965)
Subject: RE: Japanese Beetle damge ? effect yield Pics

The Sands Of N IN
Our good friends at Purdue University say that significant leaf defoliation must occur before an insecticide treatment is needed on soybeans, even at these high grain prices...probably a whole field of the last leaf you showed. Beetles tend to be "patchy" especially along field edges.

That weed is Scouring Rush and is actually a sedge. Almost nothing will control it and tillage through it will make it worse. Might have some luck with something like Yukon in corn.

Link to Scouring Rush info: http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/grasses/plants/scouring_rush.ht...

Edited by B58 Hustler 7/27/2008 17:19
Tyler WI
Posted 7/27/2008 16:44 (#423019 - in reply to #422965)
Subject: Re: Japanese Beetle damge ? effect yield Pics

Boyd, WI
The weed is known to me as horsetail. Not horseweed or marestail, but horsetail. Generally grows where water table is close to the surface by us. Best of luck to control it. I've noticed that tillage is basically the only thing to take it out for sure. It will be back again when you go minimum or no-till again.
Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 7/27/2008 17:04 (#423029 - in reply to #423019)

Nevada, Iowa
We always called it snake grass. I did a search on snakegrass and it returned a picture of that plant as well as fact that it is more known as horsetail or horsetail grass. I don't know how to get rid of it but we may not want to. Another return on that search was from flowermart.com. They're selling horsetail at $5.95 per bunch.
loran
Posted 7/27/2008 17:11 (#423034 - in reply to #423019)

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175
Bugs, I throw bug dope in when I spray Rup. and rarely have had to spray a rescue

As for the weed I've heard it called all them and have heard Gramoxone/paraquat is about the only chemical control but you'll sacrifice surrounding weeds/crop--loran
Angus
Posted 7/27/2008 17:21 (#423044 - in reply to #422965)

West Central IL
I believe it is called Scouring Rush, I have a little ina field that used to be pasture. It is very hard to kill, I can't remember which corn herbicide I was told killed it. It may have been Lightning or Yukon but I can't remember.

Edited by Angus 7/27/2008 17:22
steveMIfarmer
Posted 7/27/2008 18:56 (#423090 - in reply to #423044)

West Michigan
That is not horsetail. Not sure what it is but horsetial is more like a little christmas tree. Roundup will not kill horsetail or the weed that you pictured.
sakeller
Posted 7/27/2008 23:18 (#423265 - in reply to #422965)

Camrose, Alberta
I am certain that the weed is Field Horsetail. Field Horsetail is a very unique plant, since it does not reproduce via seeds, but via spores. What you are seeing in the picture is the reproductive "stems" that will release the spores. You may have also seen the vegatative growth that looks like little Christmas trees and is then later replaced by the reproductive "stems."

I have field horsetail in small patches throughout my farm. I find it tends to thrive in areas that crops don't do well in, mainly wet spots. I also have a large patch on a sandy knoll so it is a well adapted weed. I beleive the best way to control it is through crop competition, since it only seems to do well where the crop does poorly. So if there is a way to improve the soil its growing in so that the crop will thrive, then that is probably your best bet. On the other hand at least it holds the soil in place from wind and water erosion in those areas.

Many different herbicides will turn it brown, but none that I know of will kill it in-crop. Gramoxone will kill it and any other vegetation it contacts.
Old Pokey
Posted 7/28/2008 00:42 (#423295 - in reply to #423034)
Subject: Casoron kills it,........and the crop.

We have had some luck with casoron in the early spring when its cold to control horsetail. But that is in our blueberry road border.

http://www.uap.ca/products/documents/CasoronG-4-E-SpecimenLabel_000...
JohnW
Posted 7/28/2008 02:23 (#423313 - in reply to #423265)
Subject: Horsetail images...

NW Washington
Here is a google image with "horsetail" pictures. It is also known a "scouring rush" because the stems have a lot of silicon in them and it used to be used to scour pots and pans, or so I have been told. There is a bigger variation too. They say it have on the earth since the dinosaurs and it will be here when we are gone.
http://images.google.com/images?q=horsetail%20weed&sourceid=navclie...
ksglenn
Posted 7/28/2008 22:29 (#423797 - in reply to #423313)

I talked to a guy who had seen decent results using Permit to fight Horsetail, but I have no proof of the success...
Marty
Posted 8/3/2008 23:03 (#427876 - in reply to #422965)

MI
The weed is equisetum (aka - scouringrush horsetail, among others) - google it and you'll find more info.
Marty
Posted 8/3/2008 23:06 (#427880 - in reply to #422965)

MI
For the damage - typically most references I have read/heard talk about a 20% defoliation as being the threshold - but that was at 5-6 dollar beans. Jap Beetles are voracious feeders and they also lay little eggs that turn into grubs that can attack crops below ground as well.
With beans about double that - I would think the threshold would be halved......
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)