AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Talk me out of Bourgault 5710????
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CND
Posted 6/21/2008 01:02 (#401769)
Subject: Talk me out of Bourgault 5710????

Anamoose, ND
I am thinking of selling our JD 1820 airdrill and replacing it with a Bourgault 5710. The drill we have now is a 45 foot, 7.5 inch spacing machine. The drill I want is a 47 foot 5710 w/ MRB. I looked at a 03 or 04 model today, it is 5710 Series II. My only concern is that it has the older style MRB's that you have to unbolt to move up and down. How much of a pain is that going to be? The farmer that has the drill now says that they only move the banders once when they put new blades on, they move them down once the disc is about half worn. Any truth to that or will we be moving them all the time for different conditions? The cart is the 440 bushel model with double shoot. I am sure the newer style banders would be better, but new drills like this are hard to find and I can get this used one for a decent price. Anyone have any advice on these drills?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gerald_skca
Posted 6/21/2008 01:48 (#401775 - in reply to #401769)
Subject: RE: Talk me out of Bourgault 5710????

I would suggest you look for one with the newer/bigger
banders. It may vary with soil type, but the one inch
adjustment steps just doesn't work in heavy clay. First
few years I would set them down one step to seed canola,
but found that a real pain. If you leave them down in our
soils, they roll up to much dirt when seeding cereals. Wear
is also a problem, as to when is the time to set a bander
down or buy a new disk.
Rosco
Posted 6/21/2008 10:05 (#401875 - in reply to #401769)
Subject: Re: Talk me out of Bourgault 5710????

Galahad, Alberta
I've never run one, but there are a few around me. If you grow peas, then it may be more of a pain because you would want to lift them up when seeding the peas, and then have to put them back down for the other acres. The guys here just set them to put the fertilizer at a certain depth in relation to the seed and go, they don't change the bander depth for each field. Only time they touch them is for peas, or when they are wearing. But that's "here"
Rosco
jeff gordon
Posted 6/21/2008 10:36 (#401892 - in reply to #401875)
Subject: Re: Talk me out of Bourgault 5710????

Mather, Manitoba
same around Manitoba. Keep the same depth. The older mrb's are needed for the 8" spacing drills. You need at least 10" spacing for the newer model of banders. The newer models take more room on the drill frame to install.

Don't go towards a mid row shank
Wheatking
Posted 6/21/2008 10:48 (#401899 - in reply to #401769)

Saskatchewan

We have one with the Old style MRB's. The drill itself is heavy, we have gotten ours stuck is the yard with the wings folded up. Other than that we have had 0 problems with the drill itself. The old style MRB's can be a big pain. Lifting them up or down so they aren't running in the ground takes 1 person a good 45 minutes. The problem is that a few of them are hard to get at and releasing the pressure on the over centre release is very dangerous(I know of a neighbour who broke his jaw when it released and the wrench hit him in the face). We used to raise and lower them for peas etc ... but we just say f**K it and leave them down all the time. We have never moved the MRB's up or down either, they have stayed in the same place their entire life( It would be a big job to move them all). We are also replacing the blades on the disc this year too, got approx 12,000 acres out of them, with approx 20,000 acres on the machine.

So the long and short of it is, the actual drill itself is great, and I would buy one again in a heartbeat although I would look for one with the new style MRB's as they are quite a bit easier to deal with, although if the price is right the old style wouldn't stop me from buying one.

stuck drill

jorlan
Posted 6/21/2008 15:12 (#401973 - in reply to #401899)

Estevan, Saskatchewan, Canada
Same idea here we have 2 64' bourgault 5710's with midrow banders and like them but leave the banders down most of the time. We use on to seed most of the lentls so we lifted that one up this year. I wouldn't lift them up unless you have quite a bit of non fertilized ground to do. We generally move them down a hole half way through there life and then change to new ones.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)