AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need help to choose wireless system
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Bret (OH)
Posted 6/17/2008 12:46 (#399443)
Subject: Need help to choose wireless system

Blanchester, OH
Got Dad a new Dell laptop for fathers day with XP. This upgrades His and Mom's equipment from an old Win 98 desktop using "dial-up" to something they can take with them when they winter in FL, where they have a "hotspot" at the RV park.

What I would like to do:

I have a Sprint Air Card on my desktop for internet access through the cell towers which works pretty good.
I would like to install a wireless router in my house that would use my desktop (Win XP Media Edition)(which is always on) as the gateway(?) for my laptop, which is in my house, and Mom and Dad's laptop which is in their house to all three access the internet through the Sprint Air Card.
Mom and Dad's house is "line of sight" across the road from where the router would be and approx. 1000 ft. away. The signal would also have to travel through 4 walls.

My question:

Is this doable?
What equipment would best fit the need? I would think "N" or "N1", (are these the same thing?) The Belkin router seems to have some pretty good reviews.
(Would I need to switch out the "g" wireless card in Dad's laptop for a new "n" card to get the range or would the "g" card work?

Thanks in advance for your time and input.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)