AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wireless bridge frustration
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

chuckster
Posted 5/24/2008 01:41 (#383701)
Subject: wireless bridge frustration

Where Lewis and Clark finished the rum
OK - feeling pretty dumb and frustrated. Have two DLink DWL2100AP access points and trying to make a PtP (eventually PtmP) bridge. Had them working here at the house, but take them to the farm yard and they won't talk.

The "base" is hooked to Linksys router (192.168.1.1) which is hooked to WildBlue dish. I can talk to the base 192.168.1.51 with computer through the router. It is set for ch 5 (neighbor is using 6) and so turned off Super G. Set as access point, and run up a 6 ft small coax and 30 ft low loss coax to 6 or 9 db omni ant, my laptop can see it at -70 db using Netstumbler, at about 700 ft LoS, which is not enough to make a connection. So changed it to PtP and entered the correct MAC address of the second AP.

Second AP is also 2100, set to 192.168.1.50 ch 5, no Super G, PtP, and has the MAC address of the base in it. It has short (6 ft) small coax and the same 6 or 9 db omni ant. I can talk to it with my laptop - hooked directly via cat 5.

But I can't ping base AP from laptop hooked directly to remote AP.

Tommorrow, I'm going to try

a - rubber ducky antennae in the same room/building
b - fping
c - hooking router/switch to remote AP (except I can talk to it now from the remote end)
d - resetting both to factory defaults - 192.168.0.50 - why the zero?? and starting over
f - YOUR suggestings???

BTW just downloaded fping from this site. It is freeware that numbers packets, as opposed to microsloth’s ping, which does not, so it is hard to determine which packets were lost. Lots of other free stuff there too…

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)