AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A perfectly lousy day in the desert . . .
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 1/8/2015 19:52 (#4297931)
Subject: A perfectly lousy day in the desert . . .

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

Sometimes a guy has to just grit his teeth and suffer through his adversities.

The day started out pretty decent but then a series of things took place. I invited my neighbor Lyle; a snowbird form Illinois to come with us as Lowell and Mike (another of my neighbors) went up into the hills to see if we could find the old bomber engine. Stopped at the nearby Subway and had absolutely no luck paying for my lunch because Lyle picked up the tab for that. We got out to the beginning of the desert and met up with Lowell, and had to suffer through real rough roads that had little hope of seeing a blade anytime soon.

Rocky road

We continued along the rough road, all the while hoping that the rocks to our sides and above us, didn't come crashing down on us.

road

Soon, we came to an obstacle in the form of a dry waterfall that required us taking a detour around the side, to make it past.

Bison Falls

We stopped to stretch our legs and say our final goodbyes, just in case we had problems on the terrible rough and narrow road that took us around the falls

Guys

Once we made it past the falls, we continued to wind our way over rough and rocky, narrow trails until we got to the bottom of the valley where the B25 engine wreckage lay. You can see our RZRs in this picture I took from where the engine laid. We had to walk the final leg of the journey because the BLM graders hadn't made it this far up to fix the darned roads.

RZRs

We then continued on to an old shaft mine that lay further up the mountain. Lowell is shown here, looking down on his riding partners.

Lowell

This is the view, looking towards the lake from the old Sunrise Gold Mine.

Lake

We had lunch here and I grumbled a little bit about the temps we were enduring. Too warm to wear even a light jacket, but too chilly to take my shirt completely off. Somehow I perservered and suffered through a sunny day with temps approaching 75°F

After lunch, we BSed for a while and then I had Mike run my camera, so he could get a pic of yours truly with the rest of our gang. Somehow, he pushed the wrong button, or maybe the camera, in an attempt at a bit of self-preservation, switched itself to B&W mode so my smiling face in gleaming color didn't break it. Anyways, a B&W pic.

B&W pic

I told Lyle that he was going to have to drive my RZR on the way back, so I could get a few pictures of the trail and scenery on the way back to town. He did pretty good and claimed he even enjoyed driving.

road

road

road

road

road

I hope the pictures can convey just how much suffering and misery we had to endure this afternoon. For some reason though, Lyle said he's game to go again -- any time.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)