AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Taking CRP out 1 more time
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pbutler
Posted 11/29/2014 08:42 (#4208374)
Subject: Taking CRP out 1 more time

Macon, IL
Taking out 10 year Quail Borders, 80 acres-20 acres around outside edge of 4 fields.

Spent the last 2 years cutting out 3-6ft locust trees. Got 95% of em-1 more pass this spring. Will get possession of ground Sept 30 next fall-that is when quail border program expires. Mixture growing there is a whole hodgepodge of covers-main grass is 3-4ft tall.

I am not sure what to do-have posted some here and read a lot-but so much conflicting info.

Some say "Burn it" others say "whatever you do don't burn it". Some say "molboard it" others say "whatever you do don't molboard it"

The fields they surround are going to be in beans-but I could possibly put them in corn-kind of a pain since these are 25 miles from home. Here is my concern. I did this 4 years ago on another farm but didn't get possession till April. Batwinged it and burned it down a couple times-put in beans and they made about 10-15 bushel to the acre (and I did double inoculate them). I am also scared of tearing up platform on some of the stumps/regrowth cutting beans-but maybe with fall spraying I can see them better.

My planter fully set up with aggressive row cleaners if needed-or could use drill with coulter cart.

My plan right now is to spray it with high rate roundup Sept 30 (or before if I can)-then batwing it and spray again in fall with Roundup/2-4D or some other mix. The spray in early spring and put in beans.

Anyone have any first hand experience and have something they were happy with?

I am really not worried about year 2 or 3-just the first year beating.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)