AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If you beat a dead horse
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

t rock
Posted 8/1/2014 09:40 (#3996349)
Subject: If you beat a dead horse

Tablerock Ranch eastern Wa
if you beat a dead horse long enough, maybe you can here a slight winnie !
I will make my case for why I feel the beef industry and feeders in particular have legs to stay strong
in the 2000's discussion started on the state of the US cow herd
in the last five years the drought has moved through the cow pastures of the US and part of Canada
Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Colorado then the droughts of the mid west now Squarely on the western cow pastures
cow herds where gutted in many areas, and at the same time milk was off and many milking herds were culled very hard
now when cow herds are at there lowest since the fifty's and with almost twice the population base, instead of the supposedly easy and guaranteed expansion that will crash the market many are taking profits with replacement heifers going on feed and hard culling practices going on in many cow herds "including mine"
loss of huge western pastures is a very serious reality, fires have knocked out hundreds of thousands of acres in the heart of Oregon and other western states for years to come, BLM if they had there way would love to capitulate to the enviro's and remove us from millions of acres
the fact that the packers kept the market manipulated on such a small resource for as long as they have is truly impressive
anyone that has even the most limited exposure to the commodities market will recognize the difference between how the grains work and the resistance now seen in cattle's cash price versus the board and it's ability to reign in prices through profit taking
many on here are surprised at these development's and perhaps have not followed as closely as if they would have if it were in the grain world
the total disconnect by some and the attitude that the dumb cowman has just fallen into these baseless profits is not a well thought out sense of the direction of the state of the industry
we had the discussion on here a few weeks ago on how long it takes from the decision to rebuild or expand a cow herd, to actually having the numbers up, if you don't know how fast seven to ten years can go by when trying to build a cow herd, " you have never done it"

Edited by t rock 8/1/2014 09:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)