AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Oats and ryegrass - windrows and strip grazing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

southernblues
Posted 7/5/2014 23:03 (#3953126)
Subject: Oats and ryegrass - windrows and strip grazing

SE Kansas

Got a 10 acre sidehill, got to cross waterway (that is down hill from new pond that is spring fed and constantly running) to get to the sidehill.  Historically, it's always wet, tough to get a crop in early spring, grows good wheat but always leave ruts due to spongy/wet soils.

It happens to be adjacent to existing pastures, got fence around it too.  It was fallow from 2013 wheat crop so I burned the stubble/dead grass in March and broadcasted what I had in barn leftover from other projects...oats, red clover and annual ryegrass.  I was worried about not getting in their with wet spring and topsoil running/erosion so I did what i could.

Now that I've got a really good oat/arg crop (some clover, didn't germ like the others) -- I was thinking about baling it.  Still pretty green with ARG and oats are headed out (brown)...question is this....what if I saved myself the headache of baling/rutting up the field and just mow/rake into windrow and strip graze the windrows? I've heard stories about mice and oats when baled...

Anyone ever done this?  I would run spring pairs on this so I'm thinking the oats would be cheap mans creep feed for calves? 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)