AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

View Out My Window 10 & 11/06/2014. (6 Pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MCatSHF
Posted 6/16/2014 06:24 (#3921245)
Subject: View Out My Window 10 & 11/06/2014. (6 Pics)

Sandy Hook, MB

Hello All

I was going to seed soybeans on last year's soybean ground, but seeding came too late here this year. I couldn't get the soybeans in before the May 30 insurance deadline so I switched my soybean acres to barley acres. Too bad, last year, my first year with soybeans went well & made a $ on them. Oh well, feeding cattle to finish is profitable again for me, so hopefully I'll turn some of this low priced barley into some high priced beef!!! 

It's going to look a lot different out there today, after over 2" of rain in the last couple of days.

My JD 777 air cart was getting kind of thin in places from rust so I bought this fairly decent Flexi-Coil 1610 Plus for about the same price as what the parts would've cost to fix the old 1. It's basically the same machine, so now my old 1 is a parts machine & I already robbed some parts from it.

I'm just using this thing for mapping right now & plan to buy & build as I can afford it. I plan to add steering next year, you can see my hand on the steering wheel. I quite surprised & disappointed in the amount of drift in it as you can see in the map. I'm worried that if I add steering next year that the thing will steer like the map coverage & will have overlap & misses unless I buy some better guidance for it.

Day 2 on the other field. I had some plugging issues this year. After doing the headlands & making 1 pass across the field, I stopped & check things over & found out that 3 of the 4 main hoses were plugged full of seed & fert. After turning up the fan as fast as it would go, 1 hose still plugged up. I slowed down from 5.5 to 5 mph & that seemed to do the trick. I guess trying to put down 340 lbs of product through 4 - 2&1/2" hoses at 5.5 mph was just too much. It's late & in a hurry, so I tried to seed faster this year. Having to go back & over seed 12 acres where I went over with the machine all plugged up took longer than if I had just gone slower from the start. I hope that I over seeded all that I missed??? Probably not though & I'll have fields along the highway with unseeded strips in them for everyone to see all season long.

Sprayed fields 3 days ahead & direct seed & fert in 1 pass.

This tells me that I'm not missing or overlapping & it's bang on, not like the map with it's satellite drift!!!           

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)