AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How was your Friday the Thirteenth?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Unit 2
Posted 6/13/2014 23:02 (#3917798)
Subject: How was your Friday the Thirteenth?

I feel bad posting this just after the young man who lost his father today but maybe this will lighten the mood a little. We have had a truck in the shop for several days to replace the transmission auto shift module. They called this morning and said it was ready to go. When I left the shop I noticed the truck was shifting nice and I was pleased with that. I drove across town about a mile and stopped at the local Coop to but fuel in the truck. I shut the truck off and got out and then I noticed that all the clear diesel fuel nosals were covered with a plastic sack. No problem, I figured they probably ran out of clear diesel and I had plenty to make it home anyway. I got back in the truck and it would not start. When I turned the key it would do nothing and up on the dash it was flashing THREE FAULTS and down by the transmission shifter it was flashing SERVICE-SERVICE. I called the shop where I had just come from a mile back and told them what was going on. The manager said he would send someone over there right away. An hour later someone finally showed up. It was lunch time and I guess everybody was hunger so they went to lunch first. Never mind the fact that I might be hungry too and my truck wouldn’t start.

During the hour that I was waiting I learned why all the clear diesel nosals were covered. They had a new guy deliver some gas to the station earlier today and he put the gas in the clear diesel tank. How was his Friday the 13th going? So while I was waiting for someone to come look why my truck wouldn’t start I watched them pump the clear diesel tank empty and put it into a tank that is not used anymore.

Finally someone came to pull me back to the shop. I had just enough air in my tanks to keep the brakes off. At the shop after I waited for about another hour they finally got somebody to hook a computer to my truck to find out what was wrong. The computer said nothing was wrong. THEN WHY WON’T IT START? After another hour of the watching the guy that I was sure did not have a clue what he was doing scratch his head and mumble this thing should start. The manager finally called Freightliner and told them that they had just put in a new transmission module and the truck ran good for a mile but now would not start. The guy at Freightliner asked how the truck was shut down. The guy that had been scratching his head for the past hour looked at me and asked how I shut the truck down before I was going to but fuel in it. Then I scratched my head a little and said, “ I put it in neutral, turned the key off, and set the air brake”. The guy on the phone at Freightliner said that is the problem. With the new module that you have in the truck now you HAVE to shut it down in the correct sequence or it will not start. The correct way is to put the truck in neutral, set the air brake, and turn the key off. How was I to know that! I’ve been turning trucks off for the last forty years and never had to do it in the correct sequence. I wonder if it is just on Friday the 13th that you have to do it in the correct sequence.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)