AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

couple bottle calf questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tr70
Posted 3/17/2014 09:08 (#3758787)
Subject: couple bottle calf questions

Got a new batch of bottle calves over the weekend and am having some issues. Some scours, some snotty nose/coughing. I've had pretty good luck with the program my vets had me on for both of these -- giving Baytril 100 at recommended dosage and Re-Sorb packets (sugar+electrolites) then transitioning them back on the bottle. My question is this -- first go round I usually have to tube feed, usually the second too. Then they usually start back up with the bottle. This group I have will start back up and drink 3/4 or 1/2 the bottle and then stop. They look better but are not downing the whole thing - maybe 1/2, 1/3, 2/3. Then the next feeding will drink it all. They seem to be looking better but I debate whether to tube the rest in or to wait till the next feeding. Right now I'm waiting. I hate tube feeding, but I don't want to get behind energy wise and lose them- seems like they go downhill really fast. Now they came in Friday -- so I'm sure our schedules havent meshed yet. Yesterday I had one that had no interest and dad said to wait a couple hours. Came back early nighttime and he drank it all - of course this morning he drank 1/2 cause he'd been feed 4 hours later. These temp and humidity fluctuations are crazy - 60 on the way home Friday, 35 and snow Sat, 50 yesterday, 60 today.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)