AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A little of what I haven't learned this year.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nebfarmer
Posted 11/28/2013 06:52 (#3475763)
Subject: A little of what I haven't learned this year.

SE Nebraska, Near Misery and Cans Ass!
I geo referenced, actually my CMS did it, soil samples, tissue samples, starter fertilizer, yield data. My third year of doing this. The Starter fertilizer was done in 1500 to 800 ft rows and involved splitting a 12 row planter and weighing with a grain cart and hand held moisture tester.. The rest are just observations of a yield map.
After years of using starters and three years of testing, I have yet to find a positive response the last three years much less a stastically significant one. I can "see" the rows with starter all year. Just can't see it on the weigh wagon. This is both COC and C/S rotation. I do use a GP turbotill on cornstalks Beanstubble is notilled.
As far as soil test levels, tissue tests, and final yields The only clear trend is that PH is king and if it isn't right it's the first thing to correct. The lower testing soils tend to be the best producers. Apparently these areas or soils have the inherent ability to produce yield and thus mine the soil of the available nutrients. Tissue tests seem to correlate spot on sometimes and spot off others. I have to learn more about the timing and probably need to take more than four a growing season in corn. I will also take more soil samples next year. Takes a lot of corn tissue to get a good sample especially in small corn and it probably screws up yield data. No clue on the beans. My soils are not level, they don't need drainage, compaction is not an issue. I have been notill since "84 with the vertical till a recent change. Jury is still out on it.I like it, just not sure it pays.
Got to go help the Wife with dinner preparations. Later.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)