AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Value of interseeded red clover in pastures this time of year; grazing corn (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/8/2013 22:13 (#3316780)
Subject: Value of interseeded red clover in pastures this time of year; grazing corn (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I have had good luck spring no-till drilling red clover seed + a clover pasture mix into existing grass pastures.  The clover tends to come on in the dryer mid summer weather when I really need the grazing forage.

This afternoon I rolled up a hot wire to rotate the cows into another section of a pasture that I drilled red clover into this past spring.  I was very surprised at how well the red clover is doing on this dry, shallow, clay and rocky soil hillside.

The cattle have just finished grazing up to the wire and you can really see the contrast between the brown grass that is almost dormant in this hot dry late August and early September weather.  I am very thankful for the grazing the clover provides this time of year especially.  Here are a couple pics of the edge of the new area I am rotating my Herefords into. This clover will look like the foreground in two days.

I also checked on my grazing corn this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised given the hot dry weather recently.  This is a 95 day corn. It is starting to dent.

Looking between some rows there is almost none of last year's residue to be seen on the ground. This continuous corn strip I use for grazing every year was very poor last year then grazed down over the winter, Aerwayed, stripped and planted in early May. Quite a change from last year. I like this Carhart seed number. I hope it holds those ears through most of the winter.  Here are a couple phone pics.

Jim

(Spring interseeded Red Clover in dry summer pasture_090813_2.jpg)

(Spring interseeded Red Clover in dry summer pasture_090813_1.jpg)

(Grazing corn_outside rows_95 day_090813_3.jpg)

(Grazing corn_spring Aerway and strip tilled_guess row_95 day_last years residue gone_090813_4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Spring interseeded Red Clover in dry summer pasture_090813_2.jpg (81KB - 62 downloads)
Attachments Spring interseeded Red Clover in dry summer pasture_090813_1.jpg (72KB - 66 downloads)
Attachments Grazing corn_outside rows_95 day_090813_3.jpg (95KB - 59 downloads)
Attachments Grazing corn_spring Aerway and strip tilled_guess row_95 day_last years residue gone_090813_4.jpg (89KB - 61 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)