AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Air Brakes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Lizton farmer
Posted 4/23/2013 08:45 (#3056823)
Subject: Air Brakes

lizton IN
Why is it that any time someone wants information on Air Brakes there seems to get a lot of flaming going on?? Here is a little Air Brakes history. I am going to keep it short to try and get everyone one the same page. There are two stiles of air brakes the old stile is in the first picture. There is nothing wrong with these brakes as long as you have air pressure. Back in the day this is what the trucks had on them. When you went to hook up a trailer you backed up and hooked up the air lines and set the brakes and then you finished backing under the trailer and hooking up. If you didn't hook up the air and the air tanks were empty on the trailer you may push the trailer back and not get a good latch. Then there were all kinds of stories where someone shut the truck off at night and didn't leave it in gear and the next morning all of the air had leaked off and it had rolled somewhere new. Most of the stories I heard were into buildings or trees.

So came the newer air brakes. That is the second picture. They have added a good size spring to it. So if the air leaked off then the spring will hold the breaks on. If everything is set right you should not be able to do anything to the breaks with out ether applying air pressure or putting in the bolt to compress the spring. This spring can and does break and most of the time it will poke a hole in the rubber pan cake inside any you will have an air leak when you release the brakes. At one time take you could take all of this apart but a lot of people have gotten hurt doing it and now if the spring breaks you just get a new one. There is lots more I could put but I hope this helps clear up some of the posts .

Edited by Lizton farmer 4/23/2013 08:49

(air brake old stile.jpg)

(break4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments air brake old stile.jpg (40KB - 176 downloads)
Attachments break4.jpg (66KB - 171 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)