AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tornado hit farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

exit
Posted 3/19/2013 22:19 (#2977285)
Subject: Tornado hit farm

Athens, Ga
Yesterday around 9 pm a tornado hit the farm. Got a call from my father and could tell something was wrong. Only the second time i can say i have seen him cry. He asked if I could come help sort and clean up. He sad it was bad and then I was on the way, 2 hr ride. We worked til about 130-2. Some stayed until 3:30

The free stall barn fell straight down and onto the milking herd trapping about 160 cows. In one part the cows were holding the roof up as they were still standing. By the time I arrived, they were getting the last cows out from under the roof. In the end 2 where put down.

Walked around back to look at equipment shed, and couldn't believe what I saw. I have never seen ibeams twisted and bent like they are. Out of ten ibeam legs, 7 pulled up the concrete footer before they went flying. Busted the cab up in the 7830 filling it with water, now it throught 8 codes. The claas chopper is holding up part of the shed. While the ole 1460 took a good beating and didnt fare so well. One dump truck is twisted up in the ibeams and purlins.

Another barns roof was destroyed, another barn leveled, and probably a 5 th barn will also be declared totaled.

Calf tel hutches were over 3/4 of a mile away, they haven't found them all yet, as there is also tin everywhere. I will try to post pics when Internet is working better. Just glad no one was hurt.

Very thankful for our neighbors as they have come together and helped us clean up. 3 excavators, 2 skid steers, and a fleet of dumps and four wheelers helped us get pretty far today, still a lot to go though.

Edited by exit 3/19/2013 22:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)