AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Craigslist scam!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

StuffbreaksDad
Posted 2/12/2013 19:06 (#2894695)
Subject: Craigslist scam!

NE OH
Recently ran across the deal of the century, 2008 JD 5425 4wd with a loader for $9200. Huge scam, email address is [email protected]. Watch out folks.

This is the reply I received for the "seller"

Hi,
First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my tractor (2008 John Deere 5425). I sell it at this price ($9,200 - this is my bottom price) because i just finished the divorce with my husband. It has only 80 hours. The tractor is fully paid off, clean title. I have title in hand. The tires are in very good condition. It has the following features: Diesel, Dual Remotes, Syncro Shuttle, Barn Kept, Mowed Only, Never Field Work, Bought New, Front Wheel Assist, Firestone Radial Tires, Grill Guard, 542 Loader.
This tractor runs as good as a new one and has no dings, dents, or scratches. The divorce has finished 6 months ago and the tractor is mine now. After the divorce I was forced to buy a new house. Following the financial crisis I can't afford to pay the bank and I decided to sell the tractor. As you can see from the pictures, it's in excellent condition.
I'm very busy with my job and I'm out of town right now so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my tractor over the Internet. From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay. I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services (I will receive the payment only after you receive and inspect the tractor and only if you agree to buy it). We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated with eBay and I have a purchase protection account. The last price for this tractor is $9,200. I will pay for shipping and handling (the loan of my previous buyer didn't get approved, so, there won't be any additional shipping costs). If you are interested in buying it please provide me your full name and address for shipping so I can initiate the deal through eBay. I will wait your answer (if you are interested to buy) very soon.
Kind regards,
Nancy

After responding to this, you receive

Hello,
The tractor is already at the shipping company. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job and I'm out of town so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my tractor over the Internet. According with the eBay you have 3 days from the time you receive the tractor to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
Here is how it will work:
1. First of all I will need the following details from you:
-Full name and shipping address.
2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
3. After they will process your info, they will send us both more informations about how we can complete this transaction. They will contact you regarding the shipping process and the arrival time.
4. eBay will start the shipping process and it will take up to 48 hours for you to receive the tractor. After you receive the tractor you will have 3 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the tractor. If you will buy, then I will receive the payment through eBay.
5. If you decide not to buy the tractor, then eBay will ship the tractor back to me (and you won't be charged for this). If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed. I look forward to hear from you.
Kind regards,
Nancy

Notice the poor grammar and the lack of referring to you by name. My gmail identified the sender as a Karen Daniels, not the stated Nancy Anderson which is also a clue. I guess if a deal sounds too good, it is!!! Good luck this spring and be safe!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)