AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starter fertilizer for corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

akrumy32
Posted 2/3/2013 21:16 (#2873001)
Subject: Starter fertilizer for corn

Beaver Dam, WI
I have been reading post for the last 2 days going back to early 2011 on starter fertilizer for corn and have lost any remaining hair I have. I have seen points both ways to have or not and where to put it to how much and than what mix. I have used dry till this coming year now going to liquid, I think going to use natures with micros. 3-4 gallons acre. Going totally tublar even though in research the last few days I saw a lot of good points to dribble out back by press wheels. Appears to be very cost effective and eliminates coulter add ons and maintance.

My question comes in that guys don't use starter for many reasons planter speed man power etc. for all the pre- plant or side dress guys if you don't get rain and plant comes out of ground , How long before rain gets your side dress or pre-plant broadcasted fertilizer to the roots, which I think would depend on rain of course but this takes time (maybe it is such a short time frame it doesn't effect yield) but a lot of data supports the fact make the corn plant happy very early in growth. I think systems in furrow really helps with when the plant germinates bang you have a micro and plant food right there right now. If not in furrow banded close to row seems very appealling to get that most bang for your buck.. Only draw back I have consistly read is careful for seed burn, which for my soil I couldn't use 10-34-0 in furrow if I did would be very reduced and water added.

I would think dribble behind press wheel and than a timely shower would be a great recipe for success too. The guys who don't use starter is better soil fertility allowing plant mining the nutrients till the side dress is enter into the system?

What is a bummer is all these new mixes and fabulous fertilizers on the market are getting pricy in some ways I miss my starter with the mezn mixture already. If planter speed, man power, equipment cost, fertilizer cost, what would be you ideal set up? My guess would be some sort of liquid and dry program together.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)