AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Small beef operation corn options...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

superpuller282
Posted 12/1/2012 13:12 (#2726890)
Subject: Small beef operation corn options...

East Central Ohio
Hi everybody. We own a small cow calf operation consisting of approx. 20 brood cows in eastern Ohio. Currently, all of our calves are kept and fed out as freezer beef or kept as replacement heifers. We make all the hay we need, but we buy our grain to feed out the calves. Next year we are going to plant some corn for the first time ever. Kind of just planned on shelling the corn and selling it straight to the elevator, but then I thought, why sell it to just buy some of it back later in our steer feed mix??? Options I have: The elevator will "grain bank" corn for me at a cost of 5 cents/bushel (I forget how long thats good for)....so I could cash sell some and bank the rest for use in our feed mix that they grind for us. Or, I have read several good posts on here about ear corn and thought about picking some and cribbing it at home. I could then haul ear corn to town and have it ground so as to avoid the cost of a grinder mixer. I have no grain equipment (combine, picker, wagons, bin, etc) although there is a crib at the farm next door that we rent. I have a guy that will combine and truck corn for me, but if I wanted to go the ear corn route, I would probably have to buy a picker and a few wagons (which are still common in this part of the country). Any thoughts on what you would do? Just trying to cut feed costs and remain fairly self-sufficiant on our feed. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)