AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What have we planted! Sudax again........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 9/10/2012 22:27 (#2585170)
Subject: What have we planted! Sudax again........

Faunsdale, AL
This is what happens when it finally starts raining and you can't cut this stuff when you need to! We have a week of dry weather forcast, and it's going to take all of it, if not more to cure this stuff to round bale it.

This is sorghum/sudan hybrid planted in late June and irrigated up the first week of July, so 60 to 70 days since it emerged. We've been getting steady rains, thankfully not the floods that fell to the west as Isaac moved north and to the east as the remnant low moved back into the gulf last week. Just often enough to keep me from cutting this for hay. It's going to make a lot of dry cow type hay, but I expect they'll eat most of the stems even.

Some of it was supposed to be grazed, but the cows just aren't keeping up with it. Just get about 5 hours every night to graze or rather browse on these "trees".
First picture is cutting at 3.5 mph with our 4895 and sickle head
Second is the effect of the Circle C superconditioner rolls on these big stems. I love those things!
Third is a section that is being grazed now, they are moving through this area to reach some on down the line
Last one is a couple weeks later, just about ready to go again.

Edited by ccjersey 9/10/2012 22:39

(011.jpg)

(010.jpg)

(015.jpg)

(016.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 011.jpg (89KB - 98 downloads)
Attachments 010.jpg (93KB - 81 downloads)
Attachments 015.jpg (71KB - 84 downloads)
Attachments 016.jpg (82KB - 81 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Big Square
Posted 9/10/2012 22:47 (#2585220 - in reply to #2585170)
Subject: RE: What have we planted! Sudax again........

Eastern Half of Kansas
I use to have to go mow that type of stuff for the neighbor when it got away from him, I had disc mower, it would be as tall as muffler on tractor. From when he did it, better of chopping and bagging it or putting in your uprights. It will never dry down.
play in the dirt
Posted 9/10/2012 23:00 (#2585251 - in reply to #2585170)
Subject: RE: What have we planted! Sudax again........

south central IOWA
Holy smokes Batman!!

ccjersey
Posted 9/10/2012 23:20 (#2585290 - in reply to #2585170)
Subject: Re: What have we planted! Sudax again........

Faunsdale, AL
Last time I mowed any like this was 30 years or more ago when disk mowers were pretty new to the scene around here. Farm I was working on had a couple of 7' Vicon pull types with conditioner rollers. We did everything we could think of to get those tall stalks to feed properly, but it would always bunch the windrow up in piles and skips! Talk about never drying down!

Next step is the tedder! We really needed one back in the old days.

I think we might get this cured if the weather forcast pans out. Humidity is as low as it has been for probably 3 months right now.

Big Square, I got over-ruled on putting it in the silo! Have an empty 20x70 a few hundred yards away! Sometimes dealing with family, you just go with the flow!
Big Square
Posted 9/10/2012 23:34 (#2585310 - in reply to #2585290)

Eastern Half of Kansas
I hear you. We mowed with a NH 1411 disc mower. I don't how long neighbor let it lay but he round baled some and it was still wet, bales settled to about 2 1/2 tall and 7-8 feet wide. He generally put in silo.

Edited by Big Square 9/10/2012 23:35
feelnrite
Posted 9/11/2012 14:20 (#2585967 - in reply to #2585290)

northwest tennessee
Someone is going to wish they had listened to you.
rancherman
Posted 9/11/2012 17:53 (#2586142 - in reply to #2585290)

I'd let it lay for 2-3 weeks, then sweep it up and loose stack it. ( and I REALLY hate loose stacks!) LOL
rancherman
Posted 9/11/2012 10:00 (#2585756 - in reply to #2585170)

those pics remind me back in the 80's.... we'd plant that stuff and turn the milk cows out in it when pasture got short... geez, I remember when it'd take an hour just to find em!
I would go out at 4 (both am and pm) just to start 'looking for them' and hopefully have them in the holding pen by 5. The morning shift, those 'sneaky' girls would be laying down in the rows, and if I was over a row or two, I would totally walk right by them! Had to use all the senses to find them. Listen for a cough, fart, belch, (smell for same) Feel the air change (more humid, warmer)..... LOL, the dog didn't work too well, was off chasing rabbits somewhere!
Usually, after an hour of 'searching' on that 30 acre patch, If I couldn't find them, it was time to see if they hadn't doubled back on me and was already standing in the holding pen, and my new wife had already started milking the first set!!
after a week, they would at least have it chewed off enough so we could see them down the rows! putting a bell on a couple of them helped a little bit.. but the fresh manure up on the leaves made it 'fun' to walk down the rows!
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)