AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cuttin new calves, banding in hot june
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

DougG
Posted 6/18/2012 20:27 (#2436740)
Subject: Cuttin new calves, banding in hot june

Got a couple 2 week old bull calves , would banding be the best way to casterate them now ?? Dont want much blood or open wounds with all the flies ; i am new to banding , any shots to help them
Top of the page Bottom of the page
footballjdtractor
Posted 6/18/2012 21:27 (#2436844 - in reply to #2436740)
Subject: Re: Cuttin new calves, banding in hot june

TX
I would band this time of year. Tetanus shot is a must.
barker4650
Posted 6/18/2012 21:31 (#2436849 - in reply to #2436844)

N. E. Indiana
Cut them and spray with iodine and screw worm spray, they will heal quick being two weeks old. I use a straight edge razor and cut the bottom of the sack off. Pull the nut out, cut the cord, and repeat they other side. I place the razor blade in a potato to hold it and keep it clean. Remeber this advice is qorth what you paid for it.
Galaxie64
Posted 6/18/2012 23:25 (#2437105 - in reply to #2436740)

WY, OK
You can probably still use the small green bands at this age, use tetanus toxoid (NOT antitoxin) for the shot. We banded newborns for years with no shots but that was also in the winter nice and dry and cold. The toxoid is cheap insurance, everything we band now at branding gets it.
Jim
Posted 6/19/2012 00:39 (#2437251 - in reply to #2436740)
Subject: RE: Cuttin new calves, banding in hot june

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I would cut them and put them in fresh pasture. Watching my vet do it last week, he does NOT cut the bottom of the sack off. Just makes a vertical slit in the rear of the sack, reaches in, pulls them out, cuts the cord with a tool that squeezes the upper end of the cord shut. Use lots of iodine on the tools and cut..

In a fresh pasture where they are not lying in manure they will heal quickly. Mama will lick them clean. Hardly any bleeding.  I think a key is to squeeze the cord shut where it is cut. 

My calves that were cut less than a week ago are now running around with their tails up like nothing had ever happened. Looking good, so bull-in day tomorrow. 

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 6/19/2012 00:42
John In Ontario
Posted 6/19/2012 08:08 (#2437470 - in reply to #2436740)

Ripley, Ontario Canada
I would second the little green (or sometimes orange) bands. I do them at birth, never give a shot for tetanus toxoid and have not a problem. I also burn horns off at birth, way better than doing it later.
ccjersey
Posted 6/19/2012 22:35 (#2438871 - in reply to #2436740)

Faunsdale, AL
It's hard to mess up a baby bull like those. You can get away with a lot of things that WILL cause problems in older calves.

Always best to either crush the spermatic cords so they don't bleed or stretch them so they tear loose back up in the cord. DO NOT cut testicle off with a sharp instrument, it will be like cutting yourself shaving, the sharp cut will bleed a lot longer than a scrape for example. Stretching or crushing the cord will cause the arteries and veins to clot off quickly with very little blood loss. Oh, and the crushing has to be done properly with an emasculator. If you don't want to buy one, stretch the cords instead.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)