AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Manure Storage/Cattle Building
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

LKM
Posted 6/8/2012 10:16 (#2419836)
Subject: Manure Storage/Cattle Building

Ridgway, IL
What are you guys using for manure storage? And how does that fit into your overall layout? What do some of "pre-designed" cattle barns allow for manure storage and how does that fit into the facility?

I am in the process of finalizing the design of a cattle barn. The feeding floor of the building will be 60 x 200 running East/West. Illinois regs indicate you're facility is to have 180 days worth of manure storage. I had intended to make the barn 60 x 260, with 200' of the length for feeding and 60' of the length for manure storage on the west end of the facility. In the feeding portion of the barn, i plan to have bunks along both sides. In the manure storage portion, i intended to have concrete walls. However... I am concerned about the concrete walls on the manure storage end of the building reducing total airflow? Am i being paranoid? Should i build a seperate manure storage building that would require moving manure further from the point of production?

all thoughts are appreciated
luke
Top of the page Bottom of the page
5 Head
Posted 6/8/2012 17:42 (#2420341 - in reply to #2419836)
Subject: RE: Manure Storage/Cattle Building

South West MN
what about having the storage in the middle with a pen on each side? i stock pile mine in a field or haul it
BOGTROTTER
Posted 6/8/2012 18:39 (#2420400 - in reply to #2419836)
Subject: Re: Manure Storage/Cattle Building

Kingston,Mi
I design and supervised the construction of several solid stacking facilities. All were seperate buildings close to the feeding barns, primarily because the feeding barns already existed. 2 of them would require movement of the manure/straw mix across a concrete area about 20 to 30 feet and into storage. One had reinforced concrete walls 6 ft. high with the design calling for manure to be stacked to 10 or 12 ft in the center. That building was 48 feet wide by 120 feet long (if I remember correctly), it was designed for a feeder operation of about 300 head in this barn plus a few head in a converted dairy barn. The other was 40 by 60 with modular block walls 6 feet high (back stopped on the outside by earth at least to the 2 ft. depth) the head count there was about 200 head from bottle calves to finished cattle.

I designed a stacking facility for small feeder who wanted to use a hoop barn, the operator decided to move in another direction. We were able to divide the barn into 3 sections, 2 for cattle and a center section to store manure. Michigan also requires 180 days storage capacity unless a crop land inventory shows that a portion of the cropland can be safely winter spread (slope, soil type, distance to surface water, ground cover and soil nutrient test level amoung other factors). I oftened use the inplace storage for part of the required storage volume. If you clean on a 2 week interval, then 14 days of the required storage period is under the cattle (not cost shared), this sometimes was enough to move forward with the complete design.

Whether 60 by 60 ft. by x deep is sufficent for 180 days for 300 head (60 by 200 divided by 40 square ft/per head), Your average weight and the volume of straw used would be needed before a guess (educated or otherwise) coiuld me made.
LKM
Posted 6/8/2012 19:34 (#2420468 - in reply to #2420400)

Ridgway, IL
Bogtrotter, My calculation for storage capacity was as follows:
Cattle In wt: 450
Cattle Out wt: 1278
ADG: 2.9/day
Days on Feed: 269
Feeder Manure Production: 19.17lb/day
Finishing Cattle Manure Production: 32.32lb/day
Bedding: 4.93lb/day
Avg Manure production/day = 31.99 lb --- I assumed 50 cu ft/ton and came up with 115 cu/ft needed for each animal.

The feeding portion is planned at 60x200 with bunks on both sides to allow a range of 60sqft of space + 2ft bunk ---> 40sq ft + 1.33ft bunk depending on the calves. Will be split into 2 pens

This is where i get a little sketchy...
So, assuming the highest stocking rate of 300 head x 115 cuft/head manure space = 34500 cubic ft needed for manure storage. 60wide x 60 long x 8 tall would be 28.8k plus it would be mounded up in the middle, plus your 14 day storage under the cattles feet... gets me pretty close to home base???

I have seen a few pics of the manure storage in the middle of the barn... for whatever reason, i have the notion that it should be easiest to have the entire barn wide open, and the manure storage on one end? Maybe the middle storage bay works really well? Any guys care to share their experience?

Having a seperate building for manure storage would really not be a big issue... at least i don't think the cost of a seperate building would be prohibitivie to having a design that you are comfy working with day in and out. I came to my storage on end of building conclusion with the thinking that the shorter the pushing distance the better and a big open barn is good too... but im really interested to hear how others tackle it?
Donald
Posted 6/9/2012 00:38 (#2420969 - in reply to #2420400)

west central Ohio
are you designing these with flat floors or a ramp down to gain capaisity and keep the wetter manure in ?
runningihred
Posted 6/9/2012 19:29 (#2421858 - in reply to #2420969)

west central iowa
luke, any time you want to leave and visit, just come on out. Everything I'm doing can just wait for an hour. When I'm out looking at things, hopefully someone will treat me with the same curtisidy.
garvo
Posted 6/8/2012 20:47 (#2420556 - in reply to #2419836)

western iowa,by Denison
we have been stockpiling away from the building-seems like it cuts down on odor-flies etc.-have also been allowing more sq ft per calf-60 square ft cuts my manure in about 1/2 as the manure seems to dry well-and with 60 square if I run into a problem I could let the manure pak build for a long time
On the long term plan we plan on building a manure storage building60x90-8 ft concrete walls and a roof at 18ft height-right now we are focused on the building of the barns first-with a bigger bedding pak on the weeks we cant haul
BOGTROTTER
Posted 6/8/2012 21:51 (#2420651 - in reply to #2419836)

Kingston,Mi
Luke, I installed the AWM software from NRCS (it's free), went thru Illinois NRCS website to get it. Has a warning that no signature was provided and may be suspect, but I have used it for 10 years when I worked. I put in 150 hd of 645 av. weight feeders as high forage and 150 hd. of 1000 av. weight high energy. You provided a straw value of 4.93 pounds per day per head so I entered 1500 pounds of baled wheat straw (there are many choices, sand, cobs, sawdust etc.). No rainfall and used Hardin County (Gallatin wasn't a choice). I can't get a printout because I don't have the ACCESS program on my computer, so I'll have to just type out the results: with 8 ft sidewalls on 3 sides and a open end 60 ft wide, with a stacking slope of 3 to 1 with 1 ft freeboard and a center height of 12 ft. the size calculates as 60 by94 ft for the footprint. Your daily production with the animal examples I selected is: manure is 151.34 Cu. Ft and the straw at 113.64 Cu.ft for a total of 264.48 Cu.Ft. per day and a 6 month total of 47606 Cu. Ft.

Edited by BOGTROTTER 6/8/2012 21:52
runningihred
Posted 6/8/2012 23:47 (#2420903 - in reply to #2420651)

west central iowa
I don't think you should build one. My building holds 400 of cattle. It creates 4 20 ton loads of manure per week. You take 4x50 weeks = 200 loads per year. How can you or me build storage for that many loads? Also, I agree with garvo. There are plenty of flies around now without the manure stored on my farm. I would hate to see how many there would be in a manure bunker close by. Buy a good dump truck or trailer and haul it to your field right away.
LKM
Posted 6/9/2012 00:25 (#2420952 - in reply to #2420903)

Ridgway, IL
10-4 on the field storage.... I like that idea. The expense of manure storage... At least to build somthing meeting 180 day requirement seems steep! I tell ya, i would like to come out there and look around for ideas before we get started here... Would there be a time in the next 2 weeks that you and Mr. Vetter could set aside an hour or 2 for a quick tour? We are catching up on our cropping so i can get away most anytime. Sounds like there are lots of facilities to see in your area... Not many for me to see in my part of the country.

luke
garvo
Posted 6/9/2012 13:36 (#2421479 - in reply to #2420952)

western iowa,by Denison
LKM-just let us know there is about 20 buildings in a 24mile aera-Adam would have a couple extra rooms if you want to stay overnit712-790-7397
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)