AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Row Crop to Pasture vs Pasture to Row Crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

southernblues
Posted 6/5/2012 08:34 (#2414986)
Subject: Row Crop to Pasture vs Pasture to Row Crop

SE Kansas
I'm sure it's the latter in the corn belt areas like IA, NE, IL, IN, etc. However, in SEKS, I'm curious as to what others think the $$ ROI is for Row Crop to Pasture?

We rent out farm (approx 300 acres) out for last 10 yrs but getting back in. Starting out with cattle first -- we have approximately 120 acres in pasture/meadows today and the remaining in row crop. The tillable land has been that way for at least 60-70 yrs. It's avg upland soils for SEKS (20-25 bu beans and 100-120 corn) but when I look at purchasing more pasture land to accommodate our plans for cattle over 3-5 yrs, I scratch my head and think why buy more pasture vs turning our tillable into nice native grasses? We've got good ponds but no fencing around the tillable so that would be work but working the math and return on cattle vs input/costs and profit on row crop (and considering we sold all machinery 10 yrs ago too) I question buying more pasture land...

Here's the problem- my father has never seen those tillable fields in pasture ever and very pessimistic about change. My question is this: how many have been in similar scenario and converted the old tillable into pasture and afterwards seen the benefit? Or wish they hadn't?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)