AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Elevator Discounts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JoeDirtToo
Posted 2/2/2012 13:42 (#2201243)
Subject: Elevator Discounts

Midwest
Does anyone know what recourse a producer may have with regard to disputing grain sample grades? We have been getting petty discounts from one particular "rather large " grain buyer. It seams we have to follow up every day and question the grade, usually it is an FM discount...sometimes test weight. I rarely if ever get a discount at any of the other delivery points in the area, although it happens on rare occasion. So, I am getting tired of having to watch every ticket and decided I would have the driver bring the sample back with him and take it to the USDA grain inspector/grader and see what they came up with. This is when I became convinced it wasn't my imagination. They informed me it was against their policy to return the sample to the customer (I use this term very loosely in this instance. Adversary or competitor is the way I feel when I try to do business with these people.) Is this legal?

The couple cent discount isn't going to break me, and I know I don't need to do business with them, but it has become a matter of principle. I know these large elevators can make 10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars blending the grain and that's fine. That is what they do. Do they have to be dishonest in the grading process too? I wonder how many thousands of dollars that profit center produces?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)