AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Virus Protection????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Hop-a-long
Posted 8/24/2007 01:35 (#192342)
Subject: Virus Protection????

North West Kansas
What is the most effective for the money.  I know not to use Norton.  What else is there besides Mac Afee(sp).
Top of the page Bottom of the page
geezergeek
Posted 8/24/2007 11:07 (#192498 - in reply to #192342)
Subject: Re: Virus Protection????

Tazewell & McLean counties
Take your pick - http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1874,4796,00.asp
JohnKS
Posted 8/24/2007 15:08 (#192608 - in reply to #192342)
Subject: Re: Virus Protection????

Kansas
I'd had McAfee for years but recently my stuff from them hadn't been running right (updates and stuff from them weren't coming in), on their site they admitted there had been a problem, though I'm not sure mine was the one they were talking about, but I tried the patch they offered anyway and it wasn't doing any good, so I called and cancelled my auto-renewel deal in November and now have AVG after the guy who's worked on some of my stuff the last year recommended it. Just got it all changed over, so I can't comment yet.
Dave NWIL
Posted 8/24/2007 15:39 (#192617 - in reply to #192342)
Subject: RE: Virus Protection????

AVAST works great. It's free.
Mike SE IL
Posted 8/25/2007 08:04 (#192932 - in reply to #192342)

West Union, Illinois
Like many I've had Norton and McAfee.   McAffee is still sending me sales junk.  When I went to a high speed connection my ISP's tech recommended Trend Micro's PC-Cillin.  Worked good for a couple years.  The latest version is a resource hog. Besides that it has a conflict with ...either SpyBot or AdAware (I forget which) and uninstalled it in the installation process! It slowed my machine to the point of being unusable.  I tried working with the Trend Micro tech support and got absolutely nowhere.  I finally removed all traces of PC-Cillin and installed AVG.  The computer works much, much better.  So far I have not had any problems develp
Todd P
Posted 8/25/2007 13:36 (#193084 - in reply to #192342)

SE Nebraska
I have Bit BitDefender on three computers and it seems to work well. Does not slow down the computer like Norton did. Norton would slow down my computer to an unusable state. When I started with BitDefender it had a high rating. Don't know if it still does. Does anyone have any good or bad info on BitDefender ?
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)