AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A conservative view on vacations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Tommy
Posted 1/24/2012 09:14 (#2182493)
Subject: A conservative view on vacations

Iowa
I see a lot of talk of "far-away" vacations this winter. I guess it's $6+ corn talking...

I agree that EVERYONE needs to take time away from the work (and stress) of our daily activities, but I am surprised at the distance many people travel, as I assume the more exotic locations are expensive.

1) These are only my observations--what anyone does is none of my business

2) If you are older, very well-established, have no consumer debt (credit cards, vehicle payments), and are way ahead of other obligations--then I'd say you deserve it if you want it.

Younger guys taking expensive vacations might want to think about it this way: Now is the time to "keep your powder dry". I mean good times don't last and you are young enough to delay instant gratification for your own greater good--pay ahead on the farm payment, put the $$ in savings, etc. For fun I ran a few scenarios that could have applied to me the last 30 years: a) If I had bought a new car every 4 years and financed it b) If I would have always had $10,000 in credit card debt c) If I would have spent $2500 annually on vacations. I took these three items at the prevailing(at the time) interest rates and added it up. Those "luxuries" would have cost me an 80 A I own!!

I guess one could argue that, "what if something happens and we never make it to that age", or something similar. I see that point. But personally, I would be willing to take that risk to help establish myself and make "old age" more comfortable and less worrisome.

Again, I am not at all knocking anyone who chooses to do differently. These are just my observations. I think it boils down to that my generation was willing to live less comfortably than our city cousins and the 20-and 30-somethings of today are not. For me, personally, I am glad my wants are lesser and that mindset helped me quite a bit. I am also glad that now--within reason--I can enjoy a bit of the fruits of my years of not wasting hardly a penny.

I worry that the mindset of some will bite them when things get tougher. I always worried, "Yes, I guess I can afford it today, but will I wish when times get hard that I hadn't?" So most always I decided against it. An additional benefit is that after a while, you don't WANT to "waste" money on yourself, so you save and at the same time don't at all feel deprived--which allows you to save even more. I admit I have a wife who feels the same way, which is a huge plus.

Just the ramblings of a middle-aged guy who worries about the young guy's futures......
Top of the page Bottom of the page
M Thomas
Posted 1/24/2012 09:18 (#2182500 - in reply to #2182493)
Subject: RE: A conservative view on vacations

South Of Town.

"""Just the ramblings of a middle-aged guy who worries about the young guy's futures......"""          Next time worry about yourself and not me, I had fun in Cancun

gene_champ
Posted 1/24/2012 09:30 (#2182529 - in reply to #2182493)

NC Iowa
world is full of grasshopper and ants, tightwads and spendthrifts. by the time you know which one to be, it is too late. just accept youself for what you are.
Joe R
Posted 1/24/2012 09:34 (#2182544 - in reply to #2182493)

I agree....Seems like 3 or 4 times a week there is someone on here asking about where to go on there 8-10,000 dollar vacation. Everyone can make there own choices, but it does send a little message to others that there is quiet a bit of disposable income out here.
redsteel
Posted 1/24/2012 09:41 (#2182559 - in reply to #2182493)
Subject: Re: A conservative view on vacations

sc nebraska
My Dad just died at 54 last summer. He was very wise with his money, but we always went on vacations. I'm sure glad I have those memories now. I have been to many states, overseas, and mexico. I plan on doing that with my children. I don't see how it's a problem if you budget for it, or your business.
PeteMN
Posted 1/24/2012 15:01 (#2183110 - in reply to #2182559)

E.Central MN
I agree that the memories are priceless. Just because a person goes on vacation to someplace like Hawaii it doesn't mean you have to spend $10k. Its been quite a while since I went, but I didn't spend more than a couple hundred bucks more than the hotel/tour package and the package didn't cost all that much to start with. Some of the most fun I've had on vacations was going to the neighborhood flea markets and buying small things to remember the trip. For example: my Mom collected dress pins that she wore on her uniform at the hospital so I'd try to find a few for her collection. A pin that would cost $25-50 at a gift shop would cost only a dollar or two at a garage sale or flea market. Sometimes I'd find an old or exotic one. Plus it didn't take up much space in the suitcase, it left room for a new t-shirt or two that have since been thrown out.
ttop
Posted 1/24/2012 09:57 (#2182585 - in reply to #2182493)

scky

I can fully relate to what Tommy is saying, but I think a vacation each year was an investment for me. In our younger years ours were less expensive and closer to home, but we went just the same. Our children were the most traveled of any in their small rural school as they had visited at least 1/2 of the states before leaving school. I firmly believe I would not have a family today if not for the time away from the farm and the daily pressures. Take a week and come back ready to take on the challenges of the farm and dealing with the everyday stress that each family have to deal with. I know it made a difference with the wife of 46 yrs. and 3 grown and productive children. JMO at no charge.
OntarioCanuck
Posted 1/24/2012 10:00 (#2182596 - in reply to #2182585)

North of London
ttop you just said in much fewer words what I was trying to say.
we did not manage a vacation every year but most when the 4 kids were old enough to gain from the travel and we did not go to 'Disney World' with them. They got to see 'history' and other parts of our world.
OntarioCanuck
Posted 1/24/2012 09:57 (#2182586 - in reply to #2182493)

North of London
So I am an old guy who did a lot of what you say.
We are going to take a 14 day vacation in what is not a cheap location.
Been there before, enjoyed it and so are going back.
We did take vacations when kids were younger, getting to both coasts of our country Canada.
Looked at it as a learning experience for the kids but we budgeted that in and it was a time when the farm was bringing in a little extra $$ so we still kept farming on line to build and pay down debt.
Left us with no debt when I became old enough to collect pensions which we also contributed to as we worked in our younger years. We also own our land with no mortgage left by the time I turned 60. That is when we took our first real vacation at an expensive location.

Managed a few trips to different places in US through the years for short times but always as a busmans holiday since there was business tied to them. So no need to go back there Florida, Arizona and California plus a couple of other areas not usually considered for vacation.
Like Bermuda now 4th trip coming up.

So what you are pointing out is there are different ways to live a life.
Some save and some spend. there is a balance and it is hard to achieve for many.
Some savers never spend and some spenders can not save and always on the edge or going over.

It is nice to have resources as you age but eventually what you do not spend your children will get a chance to do it for you.

A former school friend just sold his farm. Land brought 2 million plus whatever they had from liquid assets.
Bought a new house in a small town.
They raised 3 kids and put them through universities. Says they never had any money to spend on themselves before and hardly know what to do with it now.

We still have not cashed in the land, need a hobby. Guess we are still saving.

eddie
Posted 1/24/2012 10:15 (#2182634 - in reply to #2182493)

Most these guys aren't cutting their teeth from the bottom.  Their start to farming is renting 500 acres from a neighbor and their dad is already farming 3,000 acres, so they are exchanging labor for the latest and greatest equipment, buying inputs through their dad's operation and using his equipment, so their profit on their rental acres is huge.  Young dudes flush with cash, living the dream and talking big, thinking they earned everything they got.

Plierswearer
Posted 1/24/2012 10:36 (#2182668 - in reply to #2182634)
Subject: +2 For Eddie

Midwest
Good post!
eddie
Posted 1/24/2012 10:45 (#2182693 - in reply to #2182668)
Subject: RE: +2 For Eddie

and they probably don't wear pliers from their belts, probably spend their summers in their dad's Kenworth wearing shorts and flip flops.

frytownfarmer
Posted 1/24/2012 13:19 (#2182953 - in reply to #2182693)

Frytown, Iowa

hey!! we finally got your life story huh? no wonder you have a chip on your shoulder... never got to prove yourself.

pbutler
Posted 1/24/2012 13:43 (#2182992 - in reply to #2182953)

Macon, IL
I am always suspicious about young 20 somethings bragging about farming with "finest equipment in the industry".

Good for them I guess, heck wish I could. Just don't like those same punks lecturing me about how bad they have it and how hard they had to work for it.
west illini
Posted 1/24/2012 23:50 (#2184367 - in reply to #2182992)

IL
yup.
jdm
Posted 1/24/2012 10:38 (#2182671 - in reply to #2182634)

West Kentucky
Some are spend thrifts
Some are stupid cheep.
Kind of like politics no middle ground.
Tim in WI
Posted 1/24/2012 10:39 (#2182677 - in reply to #2182634)

Embarrass WI

Everyone has their own reality.

I try to not hold it against someone that they got a good start. What are they supposed to do, turn their back on their family? Only some of them are arrogant jackasses, I know many who have had a good start from their parent that are good honest hard working family men. Some even take vacations.

I agree with the OP, a vacation is nice, but only if you can truly afford it.

You also need to keep in mind that not all wealth is measured in dollars. 

greenbine
Posted 1/24/2012 11:59 (#2182824 - in reply to #2182634)

must be a lot fun to be that bitter
dmax08
Posted 1/24/2012 19:27 (#2183473 - in reply to #2182634)

eddie - 1/24/2012 10:15

Most these guys aren't cutting their teeth from the bottom.  Their start to farming is renting 500 acres from a neighbor and their dad is already farming 3,000 acres, so they are exchanging labor for the latest and greatest equipment, buying inputs through their dad's operation and using his equipment, so their profit on their rental acres is huge.  Young dudes flush with cash, living the dream and talking big, thinking they earned everything they got.

Maybe some...but not all. I'm 22 and only farm/own 143 acres and rent everything from the farmer that I spray for. My dad no longer farms so I didnt have any equipment to use for free. We took a weeklong trip to Jamaica in Sept for our honeymoon and a two week trip to the Philippines before Christmas and I wouldnt trade them for 3 times what they cost. I would way rather do without a few more conveniences at home and have some cash to travel and make some awesome memories.
ahay68979
Posted 1/25/2012 08:51 (#2184711 - in reply to #2182634)

Saronville NE
+1 Eddie, see alot of that around here.
greenbine
Posted 1/25/2012 12:11 (#2185087 - in reply to #2184711)

ahay68979 - 1/25/2012 08:51

+1 Eddie, see alot of that around here.

how do you have time worry about what they do with their money outside of farming?
Dingaling
Posted 1/25/2012 20:18 (#2185844 - in reply to #2182634)
Subject: RE: eddie,, are you on FaceBook ????

Owings, Maryland 38.6856 N 76.6752 W
I started cutting my teeth from the bottom, rented a couple of acres, got some dairy cows cheap, think I got a bad deal though and had to sell the dairy part quick, every one of my cows only had one teat and the milk production was very low. Still have the couple of acres though and still workin hard....
ILOVECH
Posted 1/24/2012 10:37 (#2182670 - in reply to #2182493)

Ontario, Canada
A lot of people today think they are entitled before they've earned it unfortunately. Too many are putting expensive vacations on credit and then complaining that they are broke and in debt.
mennoboy
Posted 1/24/2012 10:50 (#2182708 - in reply to #2182493)

Rivers, MB
There is validity to both sides of the argument.

One thing to keep in mind. Many of these vacations (and I'd agree we're hearing about alot of them) may be paid with points on their credit card from running farm expenses through the card. Often, these points cannot be used for other stuff besides overpriced electronics and have no cash value.

We've taken some holidays in the past and most of them are paid partially by points from buying fuel and other expenses on our card. Often, the trips are half paid for or more by points.
bozranch
Posted 1/24/2012 11:15 (#2182753 - in reply to #2182708)

ne south dakota
Points are the way to go. Going to Hawaii for two weeks thanks to Delta miles card used for all JD parts and service. This sure beats the Farmplan scam. We will be in first class both ways. What a country! bozranch
Lizton farmer
Posted 1/24/2012 22:06 (#2184057 - in reply to #2182753)

lizton IN
I have read a lot about making memories. Vacations are great for that but don't sale short the everyday life. Yes you need something to do away from the farm. I have teenagers that are in sports so I am with them doing that. We have a lot of fun doing this over the years. I have also been in on conversations where someone has had something happen to them and someone always said "I would give anything just to play one more game of cards with them" or what ever they did on a daily bases.
kagen
Posted 1/24/2012 10:54 (#2182719 - in reply to #2182493)

Panhandle of Ne.
I used to feel the same as you and can see your point. But, I got married a little later in life, wife and I couldn't have kids but she had 2 girls. Never went on vacation. That one day after we had been married for several years, wife looked at me and said "you never take a vacation"? I answered "no". Always worked 16 plus hours a day, only seen her in mornings and hopefully get home in time at night to kiss her good night. Thought the farm couldn't run without me being there. She got me to thinking. "What good is all this if I can't enjoy a little of our earnings and be with her at least a week a year without having to worry about the farm------as much". Well, thats when it started. Started taking a week every summer and go somewhere. Kids had kids, when the grandkids got a little older, started taking them with us. To this day, the grandkids will remember something that we did on vacation and say how much they enjoyed it and that is something that money can't buy------ever. Guess what? Farm was still there when I got back, amazing!!!!! There were times we couldn't really afford it, but made it work. There is nothing that can replace those memories and I truly think it brought my wife and I closer together just spending time away. But, to each their own.
milofarmer1
Posted 1/24/2012 11:20 (#2182761 - in reply to #2182719)

Texas/New Mexico Stateline

I have no problem with folks taking expensive vacations, they have earned the money they can (borrow and) spend it anyway they see fit. But don't be declaring bankruptcy because of it, and leaving everybody in the lurch!

Personally we take cheap vacations and have a lot of fun. I bet we don't spend more than $750 a year, and most of that is just gas. I was just thinking the other day, "I can't wait for the summer when we get everything laid by and we can head up to the mountains!" If we didn't have a kid in school and a new baby, I would be really itching to go somewhere right now. Maybe south TX where it is warm!

We are not going to borrow and spend lots of money on vacations for several reasons, mostly because it does become somewhat of a waste when you get to the extreme. I would rather put that money towards a new house or farmland, thinking long term. And thinking even more long term I want to have resources to help others to make sure my priorities are straight. Those of you that care to, read Luke ch 12 and think about where your priorities are.

13Someone in the crowd said to Him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the family inheritance with me.” 14But He said to him, “Man, who appointed Me a judge or arbitrator over you?” 15Then He said to them, “Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions.” 16And He told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man was very productive. 17“And he began reasoning to himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no place to store my crops?’ 18“Then he said, ‘This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19‘And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry.”’ 20“But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?’ 21“So is the man who stores up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”

Not that we can't spend money on ourselves, but when it becomes the most important thing in your life ...........

John SD
Posted 1/24/2012 11:27 (#2182771 - in reply to #2182761)

If younger folks can afford travel without causing undue financial stress to their operation, I say go for it. We all get old soon enough. I'm 49 and my days of travel are pretty much over due to health problems. My advice: Do it while you can, if you can.

Good post milofarmer. I intended this reply to the OP, not to your post.

Edited by John SD 1/24/2012 11:32
lovebeingfarmwife
Posted 1/24/2012 11:25 (#2182767 - in reply to #2182493)

central Illinois Montgomery County

As what I always observed everytime I went home to visit my family I don't really remember American tourist vacationing in this expensive resort in my island. I meet and talk with mostly Europian,Canadian and Australian. I think they were big on vacation and most of them were staying there for month or two. The pictures below is one example of the resort that these people were spending 200 dollar per night. Flying there mostly cost you 1,200 to 2000 to get there. I was laughing thinkin how in the world these people can afford these vacation. We get in these resort only paying 4 dollar for party of 15 lol. I feel pity for them paying 100 bucks the least just to get in here.

(boholchristmas2011 532 (600 x 450).jpg)

(boholchristmas2011 441 (600 x 450).jpg)

(boholchristmas2011 509 (450 x 600).jpg)

(boholphilippinesvacation2011-12 015 (600 x 450).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments boholchristmas2011 532 (600 x 450).jpg (36KB - 130 downloads)
Attachments boholchristmas2011 441 (600 x 450).jpg (38KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments boholchristmas2011 509 (450 x 600).jpg (41KB - 140 downloads)
Attachments boholphilippinesvacation2011-12 015 (600 x 450).jpg (71KB - 124 downloads)
GrainTrader
Posted 1/24/2012 11:40 (#2182797 - in reply to #2182493)

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana
Tommy, I don't know if this was thrown my way or not, but since i'm feeling tired and grouchy before i go to bed this afternoon after working nights i'll just reply that my request was for Honeymoon Location Information... I honestly agree with you 99%. i do think that folks need to take a vacation some time, but not as expensive as they are. I've never spend more then a few hundred dollars on a vacation. but i'm pretty conservative as well.

P.S. including myself.... write down all the names of the folks who were talking about the expensive vacations and don't ask them to rent your farm when you retire. theres nothing worse then a land lord with a bad case of Tenant Envy!
Tommy
Posted 1/24/2012 13:03 (#2182933 - in reply to #2182797)
Subject: Re: don't remember your post

Iowa
Not talking about anyone in particular. Just noticed that there were so many of them, more than I remember in the past.

I also think I said it's none of my business what any one specific person does, just my observations and thoughts in general since I see more of the posts than in the past.
Clay SEIA
Posted 1/24/2012 11:45 (#2182803 - in reply to #2182493)

I guess it depends on what you define "wasting" money as. I had a good friend that got killed in an accident at the age of 31 a couple weeks ago. I don't think his wife would want to give up any memories of places they went for a few thousand lousy dollars. Knew a couple other guys who saved and saved for their retirement so they could go see the world and didn't make it a year after they quit working. I'm not going to advocate 10 thousand dollar vacations, but I'm not going to sit at home and live like a hermit either.
frytownfarmer
Posted 1/24/2012 13:43 (#2182988 - in reply to #2182803)

Frytown, Iowa

Clay SEIA - 1/24/2012 10:45 Knew a couple other guys who saved and saved for their retirement so they could go see the world and didn't make it a year after they quit working.

or maybe a month and a half... Joe Pa...

Mrs B
Posted 1/24/2012 20:46 (#2183742 - in reply to #2182803)

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

And then there were the two who were within sight of enjoying retirement and were taken so sadly before they achieved that goal.  This has been a rugged year in our little corner of the world.   Two in tractor roll-overs, one in a private plane crash, one in a grain bin, one to cancer, and one lost in a grass fire.

swne
Posted 1/24/2012 21:36 (#2183953 - in reply to #2182803)

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
Well said
jeff gordon
Posted 1/24/2012 12:00 (#2182828 - in reply to #2182493)

Mather, Manitoba
I'm kinda wonderin why we "NEED" a vacation anyways. Turn 36 today and I've been around the planet a few times. Got nothing but time on my hands and have virtually no ambition to go anywhere this winter Enjoy it around here, hang out in the local coffee shops, workout few hours a day, take it easy. Guess I'm on a "Staycation".

We have about 10 couples in our area (under the age of 45) that are in competion with each other. New vehicles, houses, cabins, campers, vacations to carribean/mexico, quads, snowmobiles.... Don't make any sense to me. Their just blowing their money bc their friends are.
Wreckless
Posted 1/24/2012 12:03 (#2182832 - in reply to #2182828)
Subject: Happy Birthday! nt

Mohawk Indiana
mennoboy
Posted 1/24/2012 12:31 (#2182881 - in reply to #2182828)

Rivers, MB
happy birthday. turned 36 a few months ago. its a great age.
SEED GUY
Posted 1/24/2012 12:25 (#2182866 - in reply to #2182493)

Central Iowa
A few years ago my wife was diagnoised with MS. She's doing well but one of our doctors said something that has stuck with me. He said to go home and "Live Life". We both work hard and have 2 great kids and have made it a point to travel and enjoy life both with the kids and as a couple. Some bigger trips, some smaller but what fun we have had. Mexico in a couple of weeks with some friends will provide a great deal of fun, sun, and great laughs and memories. We don't know what our tomorrow will bring and travel may become more difficult but the memories and fun we have had are worth more than money. You do what you want, I'll do what I want and we'll all get along just fine, but "Live Life" is something that we simply can't put a price on. Have a great day!

emtbd1979
Posted 1/24/2012 13:01 (#2182928 - in reply to #2182866)

west central illinois
Seed guy, you are 100% right. I learned over 14 years of being a EMT that you cannot take life for granted. You should live life to the fullest cause in the end we all end up in the same size hole no matter how much money you have saved and how much ground you have payed for. You never know when the man is going to call your number. Seed guy I would also like to wish you and your wife the best enjoy your trip.
cainfarmer
Posted 1/24/2012 12:37 (#2182890 - in reply to #2182493)

SE Nebraska

By all means if you have the money and like to travel, do it! You will never regret it and you will always have the memories. I have been lucky and have had the oppurtunity to travel the US and internationally. I sometimes feel sorry for the people that sit at home and do nothing. It's a big world out there! Enjoy it, learn and have fun. You only live once! Better to do it when your young than to wait when you get older. Gets harder when you get old!

balefire
Posted 1/24/2012 12:44 (#2182893 - in reply to #2182493)
Subject: I dunno, I kinda like staying married...

Oxford County, ON
I put in 12+ hour days, weekends included, from late March until Christmas. 'Off' season involves 9hr days Mon-Fri in the shop, clearing snow in town, and doing other random things. I am also a volunteer firefighter, which requires a minimum of 2 hours a week away from home before attending any calls, which average once every 5 days and are always at least an hour long.

Seems fair that I spend a few thou and take the wife and kid away for a week to someplace warm adn sunny. Besides, I don't own a quad, motorcycle, drag racing tractor, etc.; don't drink excessively, smoke 2 packs a day, or have any other hobbies/vices that suck up my income through the year. And, not that its any business of yours, our last vacation, a Caribbean cruise, cost less than $1500/adult including the flight to Florida and back. We can't go for a long weekend in the province without spending almost a thousand dollars!

Don't paint everyone under 50 with the same brush...
frytownfarmer
Posted 1/24/2012 13:15 (#2182947 - in reply to #2182493)

Frytown, Iowa

Tommy - 1/24/2012 08:14 I think it boils down to that my generation was willing to live less comfortably than our city cousins and the 20-and 30-somethings of today are not.

1. M Thomas hit the nail on the head...

ahh yes... the generation slamming... obviously the generation of the hippies (anything goes) and the  80s hair bands (drugs, sex, and rock and roll) were a much more responsible generation than today! .... every generation has their losers and a select few who are responsible...

anyways as graintrader thought, i took this personally as i posted pics of a "far away (obviously expensive****) vacation" that even short sighted eddie could see as irresponsible... *=sarcasm

it all comes down to being a good steward of what God has given us... being that everyones income and expenses are different, it is absolutely impossible (except for a few RARE cases) to judge whether one is being irresponsible with their money or not...

God gives us an amount of money every year and i 100% can not believe that it was against Gods will for us to go on that vacation... im sure you have a hobby i could deem as "irresponsible money spent". to each his own.  for me and my wife we will have amazing memories together  (something a personal hobby lacks for the rest of our life...

what are you working for?

There was once a businessman who was sitting by the beach in a small Brazilian village.
As he sat, he saw a Brazilian fisherman rowing a small boat towards the shore having caught quite few big fish.
The businessman was impressed and asked the fisherman, “How long does it take you to catch so many fish?”
The fisherman replied, “Oh, just a short while.”
“Then why don’t you stay longer at sea and catch even more?” The businessman was astonished.
“This is enough to feed my whole family,” the fisherman said.
The businessman then asked, “So, what do you do for the rest of the day?”
The fisherman replied, “Well, I usually wake up early in the morning, go out to sea and catch a few fish, then go back and play with my kids. In the afternoon, I take a nap with my wife, and evening comes, I join my buddies in the village for a drink — we play guitar, sing and dance throughout the night.”

The businessman offered a suggestion to the fisherman.
“I am a PhD in business management. I could help you to become a more successful person. From now on, you should spend more time at sea and try to catch as many fish as possible. When you have saved enough money, you could buy a bigger boat and catch even more fish. Soon you will be able to afford to buy more boats, set up your own company, your own production plant for canned food and distribution network. By then, you will have moved out of this village and to Sao Paulo, where you can set up HQ to manage your other branches.”

The fisherman continues, “And after that?”
The businessman laughs heartily, “After that, you can live like a king in your own house, and when the time is right, you can go public and float your shares in the Stock Exchange, and you will be rich.”
The fisherman asks, “And after that?”
The businessman says, “After that, you can finally retire, you can move to a house by the fishing village, wake up early in the morning, catch a few fish, then return home to play with kids, have a nice afternoon nap with your wife, and when evening comes, you can join your buddies for a drink, play the guitar, sing and dance throughout the night!”
The fisherman was puzzled, “Isn’t that what I am doing now?”

krantz
Posted 1/24/2012 13:22 (#2182958 - in reply to #2182947)

NM
Always liked that story.
GrainTrader
Posted 1/24/2012 19:43 (#2183531 - in reply to #2182947)

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana
never heard that story... but thats a good one. makes a guy think a little. not tommy is really going to be mad if i turn down overtime this weekend to enjoy some time with friends and family
frytownfarmer
Posted 1/24/2012 21:53 (#2184019 - in reply to #2183531)

Frytown, Iowa

must be your $6 corn your selling...

Mark (EC,IN)
Posted 1/24/2012 13:43 (#2182991 - in reply to #2182493)

Schlegel Farms, Hagerstown Indiana
I figure if you can afford it , and enjoy traveling...............go for it.
oleozz
Posted 1/24/2012 14:25 (#2183057 - in reply to #2182493)

Pennsylvania
As a kid growing up in the 50's and early 60's we didn't have a lot of money but my parents always managed to take us on vacations. I have lots of happy memories of those days and am so glad that my dad and mom had the foresight to realize how important those trips were. We spent many years traveling to Ontario on fishing trips, staying in cabins that weren't the Hilton, fishing in old flat bottom boats that always had about 3 inches of water floating on the floor, but we enjoyed every minute of it.
movinahead
Posted 1/24/2012 14:41 (#2183078 - in reply to #2182493)

Red River Valley
The problem with going on vacation is as soon as I get to where we are going I start to think about all the things I should be doing at home. So it makes the vacation not much fun.
kagen
Posted 1/24/2012 14:47 (#2183087 - in reply to #2183078)

Panhandle of Ne.
Yes, I had the same "farmer on vacation, mind at home" syndrome for several years. But, when I got back home, it was still there and all those things you needed to do still needed to be done, but hopefully you had some good, quality family time and made a few memories while gone.
madone
Posted 1/24/2012 14:56 (#2183102 - in reply to #2183087)

Interesting post ,as I read this my wife and I are on the beach in Jamacia .shopped hard and found a great deal. A week off with her is a lot cheaper than a divorce lawer or having someone else greasing her legs. The guys complaining about vacations or the same ones who have had their new combines in the shed since Dec.it will all be there when we get back and when we get back the stress will not be quite as bad it is good to get away.
ahay68979
Posted 1/25/2012 09:02 (#2184734 - in reply to #2183078)

Saronville NE
+1 or would RATHER be doing.
FromtheFlats
Posted 1/24/2012 16:21 (#2183197 - in reply to #2182493)

EC IL
if you don't like reading bout farmers going on vacation stay off the site. Farmers been taking vacations for as long as i can recall. Just you did not have the internet to tell you so. If you got time and money go and do it best money you can spend with your family. I will admit we as a family do something every 2 years, all we can afford. Also all this when i was younger crap is stupid cause i bet your grandpa said the same thing about you or one of your buddies about how good you have driving your tractors with rubber tires, ooohhhh then the cabs, then AC damn spoiled brats just look at all the stuff they don't need yet spend it like there is no tomorrow. Who they heck needs 150HP tractor aint nothing you can do with a tractor that big. It goes on and on. Get. Over. It.
bshannon
Posted 1/24/2012 17:15 (#2183255 - in reply to #2182493)
Subject: Many different ways to look at it

Husband & I always tried to get away for a few days with our son every year. Seems like a week was enough and we were all ready to get home, but we had a lot of fun within a few hundred miles of home. There are a lot of things in our own back yard. The last year before my husband passed away, I knew he wanted to go on some trips, so 1 day we just packed up and left for a 10 day drive from Wisconsin to Vegas and back. We made a big circle loop of the western US and were able to stop when he didn't feel good, and set our own schedules. I am still paying it off after he passed away and it doesn't bother me a bit. The $ and interest spent made some wonderful memories. He told everyone how much he enjoyed it, and didn't think we would be able to actually do it. Each to their own!
swne
Posted 1/24/2012 17:39 (#2183283 - in reply to #2182493)

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
I don't think a person should take expensive vacations if you can't afford it andI can see the point that early on a person needs to put as much money as he can to a business but now that I've been at it for 30 years and have paid down a lot of debt I feel I deserve to reward myself for working hard. It's something my wife and I like to do and make traveling a priority. Sitting in Aruba right now by the way. Not terribly expensive compared to a lot of things we have to buy like seed and fertilizer or repairs.
rancherman
Posted 1/24/2012 17:50 (#2183302 - in reply to #2182493)

We all know deep down what 'works' on our operations. It's hard to imagine how the balance sheet looks for the guy across the fence, I got enough stress worrying about mine.
When I do see a young buck driving a lot of new paint, it's difficult to not remember that old saying: Grandpa busted his rear and back bringing the land into production. Dad took over the reins and finished where his dad left off, and bring the operation into the 'new age'. Junior hops in the saddle and runs off to take snowboard trips and take improv lessons. AKA: grandpa (starts farming) dies from a worn out body, Dad (pays down the debt) dies because of worn out tractors, and Junior (pisses it away) dies in a freak snowboard accident.
And what to think about that? It's theirs! let em fail. I'll be at the auction.

Brandon SWIA
Posted 1/24/2012 18:20 (#2183350 - in reply to #2183302)

The three generation scenario you described has been going on for a long time. Decades. It usually is the third generation that has trouble.

In general, farmers have fewer kids and amass more wealth than they used to (probably because they had fewer kids) :-)

Therefore, wealth tends to get concentrated more easily. Used to be a farmer had six kids and died at age 65. The three sons would all have their own operations. Now farmers have two kids and die at 85 still amassing wealth. Maybe one kid farms. That kid might have one kid that farms, so you end up with two generations trying to transfer wealth to the third.
loran
Posted 1/24/2012 18:14 (#2183333 - in reply to #2182493)

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175
Awfull lot of time wasted making up some assumptions.....wouldnt you have been better off working?

Hmmmmm?

Where do yo draw the line?
dbltfarmer
Posted 1/24/2012 20:01 (#2183586 - in reply to #2183333)

Texas
A good older friend of mine once told me that he started making a lot more money when he started playing golf. Golf can be a very expensive luxury but it clears the mind and gets you out of the barn or off the tractor where you are probably spending a lot more money. Vacations can be applied here also.
loran
Posted 1/24/2012 20:37 (#2183713 - in reply to #2183586)

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175
Little worried here..... I started taking vacations way before $6 corn......no regrets
bigmiker
Posted 1/24/2012 18:57 (#2183418 - in reply to #2182493)

SW Ontario
IMO, it is nobody's business if somebody else is going on vacation, and nobody's business to be fueling the gossip mill with how much people spend on vacations. People have different ways of enjoying time with their families. Some stay at home at get toys like quads and such, some go on vacation. It varies with each person as to what they like. But to sit there and tell someone that the vacation they are taking with their family is too expensive and outlandish is an absolute load of hog manure. People can do whatever they want with their money, that is their right in a free country and society. To sit back and pass judgement on someone because of their holiday choice is akin to the local coffee shop queens who criticize everyone because they are doing something different or have more than they do.

A family needs time to be a family. Working all year without a vacation isn't usually healthy for the relationship. And sure, paying down debt instead of going on vacation and such seems to make a lot of sense when your looking at it from a business perspective. But there are a lot of things that are very important in life that a pen and paper can not account for. My Grandpa was one of those people. He always worked on the business, working to keep it going and to pay things down. Never went on an extended vacation. In 2009 he finally sold the business and retired. He bought a used diesel pickup and a slide in camper, and he was finally going to do some travelling with my grandma. He was looking forward to spending some time in the south during the winter with her, and now he was finally going to do it. Fast forward to now, and that camper is sitting in the back of the shed collecting dust. The past two years they were supposed to spend travelling have instead been spent going to chemo and radiation treatments trying to beat the unbeatable. Now, after looking forward to spending some time travelling with my grandma, it will never happen. Looking back on it, taking a week off once a year sure seems to be a heck of a lot cheaper and better choice than working and saving for the golden years.

doggone
Posted 1/24/2012 20:33 (#2183689 - in reply to #2183418)

south central MN
There is no right way or a wrong way to live ones life that is what makes us indviduals. If I take a vacation I don't think it affects any of you so enjoy your life your way without judging me and i will continue to live mine and I really don't care what or how you do things.
dairyman78
Posted 1/24/2012 20:53 (#2183787 - in reply to #2182493)

S.C. Wisconsin
Interesting post. Just a thought. An employee of mine was complaining about our neighbor who was in his eyes taking to much time off. My reply was "he must be smarter than we are as we have to work" My final comment is that it's all about balance.
barker4650
Posted 1/26/2012 12:36 (#2187258 - in reply to #2183787)
Subject: Good Christians???

N. E. Indiana
How good of chistians are some of you? We will all be judged some time and it will not be by any of us. Quit judging and worring about what everyone else does and worry about your own. If you take the time you have spent worrying about everyone else and directed that energy towards your operation, you might be able to afford a vacation. Remember what most parents tell their kids worry about yourself and not what all the other kids are doing. EDIT *** I am not a bible beater, but some need to stop and think before we talk or type.****

Edited by barker4650 1/26/2012 12:39
Wreckless
Posted 1/24/2012 21:48 (#2184002 - in reply to #2182493)
Subject: Tommy FWIW

Mohawk Indiana
I couldn't agree more. I'm sure lucky that the folks a generation older and wiser than I am had some [Dry Powder] when things went south about thirty years ago. If they hadn't I might have a totally different profession now.

Thanks for a good post!
Balzy
Posted 1/24/2012 22:24 (#2184121 - in reply to #2184002)

central Iowa
You can take a pretty nice vacation for the same price as a month in the nursing home..... you choose.
Wreckless
Posted 1/24/2012 22:47 (#2184206 - in reply to #2184121)

Mohawk Indiana
If you are giving me the choice of taking a vacation now and spending the last month of my life in a nursing home on the taxpayers nickel or skipping the vacation now and having enough resources to pay for my final care in a nursing home. I will choose the second option.
Tommy
Posted 1/25/2012 10:03 (#2184869 - in reply to #2184002)
Subject: RE: Tommy FWIW--Thanks, my final words on this

Iowa
Wreckless - 1/24/2012 21:48

I couldn't agree more. I'm sure lucky that the folks a generation older and wiser than I am had some [Dry Powder] when things went south about thirty years ago. If they hadn't I might have a totally different profession now.

Thanks for a good post!

Thanks. Most people didn't thoroughly read the original post and were quick to get their dander up, which is, of course, their right to do so. The following are a few exact quotes from the original post:

1) "I agree that EVERYONE needs to take time away from the work (and stress) of our daily activities"

I am a huge advocate of getting away and reducing stress, those who objected and shared how they get away inexpensively missed my point.

2) "These are only my observations--what anyone does is none of my business."

I don't see how anyone could feel singled out. I just noticed the more exotic vacation posts were far more common than in the past.

3) "If you are older, very well-established, have no consumer debt (credit cards, vehicle payments), and are way ahead of other obligations--then I'd say you deserve it if you want it."

I don't see the relevance (to my post) of sharing how grandpa died before he traveled (although that's sure too bad). I'm sure he met the qualifications of my statement above far before he retired.

4) "I guess one could argue that, "what if something happens and we never make it to that age", or something similar. I see that point."

My original post included the quoted sentence above. For those of you with health problems, the time for you is now!

5) "Again, I am not at all knocking anyone who chooses to do differently. These are just my observations."

6) "I am also glad that now--within reason--I can enjoy a bit of the fruits of my years of not wasting hardly a penny."

I am no where near retired. I'd bet that's still 25 years off. And I now have and do a few things "extra". But I sure didn't when I was much younger. If I had I am positive I would have never made it through the '80's.

I also totally agree that there are many ways to live, how someone else lives is none of my business, and my quotes #2 and 5 above--from the original post--stated so.
MY observations were just that--there are many, many more posts about what appear to be more costly vacations--than in the past.

There are a few things I did in my earlier years that--even though I might have taken exception at the time-- would have been good for me to be cautioned about. We all know that the pendulum swings too far both ways, and at some point in the future we will be at the other side of the swing, and maybe someone will have to go through tougher times because of extravagance lived now.

I remember the 70's--a lot like now-- when many people were living it up like some are today. The pain some of those same people went through a few years later was incredible. If you weren't there, you can't even fathom it.There was a huge weight on everyone's shoulders for years, and more stress than anyone who wasn't there can imagine. Even if YOU weren't in trouble, you had close friends who were. It was a terrible nightmare that I hope to never see again. Every time I drive to town, and see all the "former" homes of my former neighbors that were lost in the 80's--well, it still hurts. They were great people, as all of you are. I remember one really great neighbor, now long gone, tell me, "I wish someone would have warned me".......

History always repeats itself. Bad time follow good times. Those who don't prepare in good times may not get through the bad times.

I am sorry that some people felt singled out. That was not my intention.

Maybe someone else will be helped by all of this, take heed, and be thankful for my observations at some point down the road.
fairviewfarmer
Posted 1/24/2012 22:53 (#2184223 - in reply to #2182493)

My wife and I spend less than 5% of our yearly living expenses on vacations. We still manage to get to the Black Hills for a week every summer and a weekend vacation or 2 in the winter to various local locales. Life is too short save every dime you make. jmo.
DC swIL
Posted 1/24/2012 23:50 (#2184369 - in reply to #2182493)

I guess a lot depends on how you were raised and what priorities were taught. My parents were children during the depression and definately knew how to stretch a dollar. But one of the many things my parents taught by example was, when it is time to work you work, when the crops are all in or all out you slow down a bit and enjoy life.
Growing up we took 1 or 2 vacations every year, mostly camping and often out west to the mountains. I probably saw 40 of the 50 states with them. What great memories! I have retained this love of travel and have hopefully passed it on to my kids.
God has created a big, beautiful world and I enjoy seeing and experiencing different parts of it.
fpr2006
Posted 1/25/2012 09:42 (#2184820 - in reply to #2184369)

SW Minnesota
Vacations are important. So often it seems that people who talk about working had and being conservative are really only hard working in their own mind. They get set in their ways and do things the same way they always have. Vacations help you break out of your routine. They wake you up and help you think outside the box. I've never taken a vacation at a resort yet but I have seen most of the 50 states so far. My first trip in college that I paid for myself cost $120 35 years ago. I was gone 10days. Honeymoon 22 years ago cost $650. Out of state hunting trips typicallycost less than the license. My point is you need to have balance.The hardest part of a vacation for me is always the flurry of activities getting things ready for some else to do chores. Lot's times the lazy thing to do is not go on a vacation.
Jay in WA
Posted 1/25/2012 00:40 (#2184420 - in reply to #2182493)

Pasco WA.
I have never seen a hearse pulling a U Haul. Your not going to take it with you.
ahay68979
Posted 1/25/2012 09:29 (#2184797 - in reply to #2184420)

Saronville NE
I quess I kinda agree with Tommy, Im 36, just dont really have the desire to travel or spend my money that way, would rather put the money into the business and expand or pay down debt. Also think it depends on how you grew up, when Dad still farmed we never took a vacation, I remember the yr before my grandpa died in 81, he took the whole family on a vacation to the black hills and CO, dad went with us from the farm, was the only vacation we ever took while dad farmed, fast forward to 1984 dad had farm sale from the 80s and we moved to NE where he took a new job, the next 5 yrs we went on 2 vacations a yr, went to Disney world, went to CO, went to the black hills again, went to Nashville, we drove every single mile of em and saw the countryside, Ive been in about 20 of the 50 states. Then before my Grandma died of cancer in 93, she took the whole family on a week and a half trip to Hawaii,we went to Maui, Honulolo. I graduated in 93, I have not taken a vacation since, I had to go to Washington DC for Farm bureau when I was on the state young farmer and rancher board and remember having to literally work 24 hrs a day to get everything done that had to get done before being gone a week ( wrong time of year, 2nd cutting hay, baling straw, and notill drilling millet behind irr wheat, all custom work and no help, would hay during the day and drill all nite, literally 24 hrs a day for 3 days to get it all done before I left). I have not been anywhere besides 2 NAT gatherings, and numerous farm sales, family weddings and such and dont really miss traveling. I just put 800+ miles on in last 2 days, swather shopping, that is a vacation for me, see some different country and enjoy looking at machinery. Wife and daughter went with me on the first day, I went myself yesterday. But even those little trips you get fond memeories of doing things togther or things my daughter said while on our trip, it doesnt always have to be big expensive trips to have fun or make memeories.

Im sure some day I will have to start going somewhere, short trips that the wife wants to do, but were just paying down debt right now and not wanting a expensive trip. Everybody has there own ideas of fun and relaxation and mine doesnt include much travel.

As an example I have a ffiend that he and his wife are always going to comedy shows, concerts, travel somewhere, always having fun at a bar or something, but he always complains he never has any money to update equipment or buy something else to expand his operation. I Know where the money goes from looking over the fence and watching this, but each to their own.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)