AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean harvest "not cutting low enough" update
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

willvr
Posted 10/20/2011 10:37 (#2012308)
Subject: Soybean harvest "not cutting low enough" update

Bow Island, Alberta
This is a follow up to a discussion from a few days ago.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=262397&mid=200...

I went to park the header last night and found out that a pin had fallen out somewhere since I parked it last time. As a result the header did not follow the ground as well as it should have. Wasn't any problem when cutting above the ground. So I learned something. Always easier to remember a lesson when it cost money or time!

I aslo posted another question late in the discussion, that didn't get answered. Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks.

New question. Last year this field was in wheat and I had a couple of 3 m isolation strips in the field. These strips were chemfallowed, and not fertilized. The wheat stubble was harrowed once, then worked once last fall and then cultivated again this spring, just ahead of the drill. On these strips in this years's soybeans, they grew about 6 inches taller. Is is because of the N that was mineralized last year? Or is is because there was less straw on these strips? The soybeans were inoculated with liquid and then I added granular with the drill as well.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
paul the original
Posted 10/20/2011 12:49 (#2012458 - in reply to #2012308)
Subject: Re: Soybean harvest "not cutting low enough" update

southern MN
n my part of Minnesota, with heavy yellow clay soil with too much spring water & frost 3-4 feet deep, the crops grow faster & taller on ground that was black the previous fall - warmer, drier soil. This is why tillage is very common 'here'.

I have a 38 acre field I graze cattle on, plow the outside ring as a marker for the cattle. Crops always come up & look a tad better on that outside ring. Some years it is better yield, some years not, but the black bare dirt is never less yield.

Don't know that that relates to your soils & climate at all.

--->Paul
Tompa
Posted 10/20/2011 16:12 (#2012624 - in reply to #2012458)
Subject: Re: Soybean harvest "not cutting low enough" update

North shore of Lake Ontario
We see a similar situation on corn ground. Where silage is removed soys will be 6" taller. Last year a yield monitor check showed less than a bushel difference. We have a better check this year but have not harvested it. Theory is as Paul says but I think that the extra organic matter steals a bit of N as it starts to decompose. Beans are at the beginng of nodulation at this time . Ours were quite yellow where we had left the stalks as compared to where all corn had been removed . I'll try and get another yield check this year.
sri
Posted 10/20/2011 22:25 (#2013206 - in reply to #2012308)
Subject: RE: Soybean harvest "not cutting low enough" update

nw pa

Farming is a learning experience some like yourself catch on fast. Others like myself are somewhat slower.
 Remember my first bean cutting. Thought I was doing a wonderful job.  I was the only one.
 As for ddifference in the beans, I would say disease or lack of it. Land just needs a vacation  now and then.    Call it the disneyworld symptom.lol

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)