AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

single pass fertilzing/seeding questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 10/8/2011 01:10 (#1995064)
Subject: single pass fertilzing/seeding questions

Rivers, MB
We might be forced into changing our seeding / fertilizing method due to excessively dry conditions this fall. We typically apply NH3/liquid P K S in the fall and then seed in spring using a bit of P K S starter. If we can't put our NH3/liquid down this fall, we will need to do something other than band NH3 in the spring because our retailer doesn't have the infrastructure/equipment to handle double the amount of NH3 to all go down in the spring.

So, we're exploring options for spring fertilizing. Single pass seeding/fertilizing is a better option I think compared to dribble banding liquid fert or broadcasting dry ahead of the drill and incorporate it while seeding with narrow openers.

So for those of you that single pass seed/fertilizer. What method do you use and why do like it and what don't you like about it. Cost? Logistics? Simplicity? What are the good and bad points of the method you use.

I like the simplicity (blending is simple and transferring only needs some hoses and a 3" pump) of liquid but don't like the cost and bulk of it. I like the cost of granular (compared to liquid) and the ability to use our hopper bins to store the granular fert but don't like the dust, the rust in the bins, and the slow transfer of it.

Appreciate any thoughts you have.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)