AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

USDA Report process
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Wheatking
Posted 10/2/2011 16:01 (#1988057)
Subject: USDA Report process

Saskatchewan
Just a quick question and comment on the USDA reports and reporting process

Does the USDA make public the way they arrive at their inventory and crop production numbers etc... or their methodology. Is it a set formula that is the same year after year, or is it more fluid where they can adjust and tweak the numbers as needed. Do they get the numbers for inventories in the actual elevator system, from the elevator managers. Are the elevator managers not just as likely to lie about the inventory on hand as the farmer is to lie about the bushels in the field. Or is there penalties and fines for lying or stretching the truth to the USDA. Are these numbers ever audited. I have a hard time trusting an elevator manager who best interest would be to lie about their current inventory.

I guess what I would like is everything laid out on the table so that if a person is keeping track of all the numbers given to them they should be able to arrive at the same numbers the usda gives out in their reports before the reports come out, or at least come reasonably close.. I personally think it is BS that these numbers can ever come in as a surprise. If we know the amount of livestock inventory, the amount produced and shipped we should arrive at the same numbers they do, but the experts never do, how come.

I guess the same can be said about ag-canada.

Edited by Wheatking 10/2/2011 16:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)