AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grazing program and soil effects over the long term
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

eddie
Posted 7/9/2007 10:40 (#172144)
Subject: Grazing program and soil effects over the long term

In a continuous grazing environment of annual forages, what are the effects on the soil tests. We have been grazing triticale to the ground in the spring, then no-tilling in oats/triticale in the summer, and grazing that to the ground in the fall, intermixed is Sorg/Sudan and Millets as summer rotations no-tilled into burndown of triticale after spring grazing. Dry fertilizer is used and UAN 28 is dribbled on each crop for nitrogen needs. What are the long term ramnifications to this kind of a program. Soil is all sand ranging from loam sand with a couple feet of top soil to blow sand with no top soil, and variability in between depending if it is at the bottom of hills or top or somewhere in between. I know I get good soil development from the root structures, but is the constant removal of the top growth a net negative venture in building and maintaining the soil? Probably 50% no-tilled and run through with a chisel plow every couple of years to break up compaction and provide a clean seedbed. Probably 30-35" of rain/year, hit and miss, bulk of it is when crop isn't even growing. I know a lot is returned to the soil via manure, and no shade trees to congregate cattle, so manure distribution is fairly good.

Why don't I plant a permanent pasture? I haven't figured out how to make it work yet. Very intensive grazing, moving the cows daily to only the amount they will consume in 24 hours, seems in the light sands plant cannot sustain themselves under the heavy foot traffic and grouping that occurs in hot weather and pocking that occurs when it rains, not very good soils for resiliency of perinnial plants. I'm trying to make it work just haven't figured out how. Seems I get a really good flush in the spring with significant tonnage, then that ground is useless until fall rains kick the cool season grasses in gear and I get a light grazing again.

Any ideas, suggestions? Feel free to give me any ideas on how to improve or change for the better.

Eddie
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)