AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FARM HELP COMPENSATION
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

djg4307
Posted 8/16/2011 15:08 (#1915057)
Subject: FARM HELP COMPENSATION

ANDALE KANSAS
hello

I work a full time job and farm part time, 400 crop acres in south central kansas... the crop mix is wheat , soybeans, milo , and alfalfa

I have a son who is currently 19 and has worked off the farm the past 2 summers.
I have a good paying job and i wanted the farm to be an extra source of income, but mainly a source of employment / opportunity for my kids ages 19, 14, 10 as they enter their teen years and want to make their own money
The equipment i run is, for the most part, old but usable equipment. Plenty of opportunity to learn mechanic skills,welding,fabricating etc. ha ha
The alfalfa alone would pay for their college and expenses. The oldest the past two summers worked off the farm because him and i both felt it would be great experience to work for others for awhile . He misses the farm and i miss the help !!!

What are some arrangements you all have made in a similar situation as far as compensation ? I was thinking a set amount of hay or grain depending on the yield etc. kind of like an incentive to complete the task at hand and learn some business and marketing skills along the way. Or something similar ... I would have to talk to the tax adviser to find out what is the best way to go as far as taxes are concerned..

Thank you

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)