AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

acceptable dog behaviour?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Rasputin
Posted 8/1/2011 07:24 (#1889627)
Subject: acceptable dog behaviour?

I realize that every dog is different and each has their own personality and that needs to be respected, but at the same time, for a dog to be 'safe', especially with kids, I believe there are some things that should never ever happen.

So my girlfriend has a little beagle, an adorable little thing, however she can be a little aggressive in certain situations. I understand that she is possessive of her toys and getting close to her while she has a treat elicits a growl, and getting too close you get bitten, my experience was a lunge and quite a determined little bite.

I have an alaskan malamute at home, a big girl, she never growls or bites. When I tug on her tail, she turns around to play, when I accidentally step on her feet, she yelps, if she is eating she doesn't mind being pet, I can take her snack away without being bitten. If anything I did would elicit growling and biting, that would either stop quickly or I would shoot her. Because she is a big dog and if I can't be assured that there is really no possible chance she would hurt anyone who comes here, especially kids, she's gone.

The grandfather was not impressed with me and the beagle, he says it was just protecting what was hers, which is valid, to some extent. Though interestingly, he compared it with a bull. And I've got a bull with the cows, and that bull doesn't try and protect what's his because I've made it clear to him that those cows are mine and his existence is dependent on my good graces. And hence I would say it is a 'safe' bull, though none are ever safe.

So I doubt I can be convinced that it is acceptable for a dog to growl or bite to protect its snack, though you can certainly try, but can this behaviour be realistically untrained? The dog is well over a year old now, and it seems to me that a family and that dog will not co-exist peacefully, which should be an unnecessary choice with good training. Thanks for any suggestions, I find it a little discouraging to get disapproval over this, but no dog bites me. I don't put up with that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)