AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sidedress: NH3 or UAN
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ioway
Posted 6/30/2011 19:52 (#1842861)
Subject: Sidedress: NH3 or UAN

Central Iowa
I have been applying all my N preplant with decent results but am considering sidedress for a # of reasons I won't get into. I can typically buy NH3 $.20 cheaper per pound of N than UAN. That is the only reason I would lean that way as I know liquid is more convenient. One question I do have is are both forms of N equal in a sidedress situation? I would like to sidedress a majority of the corn around V5 if possible but naturally weather will determine that. Obviously by V7 I want to have a lot of nitrate available as the corn is determining ear size and entering rapid uptake. My question is will NH3 convert fast enough to feed the corn right away or will liquid give a better kick right away? Also another concern is shallow placement or either form in dry conditions. Will one form be better than the other should there be difficulty in getting the N moved down the root zone from lack of moisture after application? I should state that I will be applying 50 units preplant of UAN with the chemical to bridge the gap between nodal root takeover and sidedress.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)