AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hog manure guys - Whats your N management strat?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bleedred
Posted 6/29/2011 23:51 (#1841762)
Subject: Hog manure guys - Whats your N management strat?

East Central Ia
Have had a lot of trouble the last few years with all the rain managing our manured ground.

We have been going off the pit samples and applying enough N for our whole crop in the fall, knife injected. We have been doing some eariler stuff, before the ground is below 55 degrees, with a N stabilizer. Not sure its holding the N long enough for that to work. Its been great from a logistics stand point, not having to fight the cold/crappy weather to get it pumped out in the fall, but I think we need to revaluate our program.

We tried putting down enough manure to cover all our N needs on some corn on corn but felt it wasn't working very well and have been doing it differently the last several years. Now we are applying the same rate as our first year corn and then supplementing another 50-70lbs of NH3. Thats been working pretty good.

On our first year corn we have been going off the pit samples and applying the N based off the total N, not the estimated first year availability, and felt we were short on N in places. Last year we applied all of our N based off the estimated first year availability.

My manure ground by far has the most yellow spots in it. I am thinking I need to be split applying my N even on the first year corn.

We have been applying 150lbs of Actual N going off the labs test results... 3,000-3,500gpa usually.

What are you guys doing?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)