AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Venting some I guess...A Scam...be careful
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

bwire
Posted 6/26/2011 22:55 (#1837197)
Subject: Venting some I guess...A Scam...be careful

Rock County, MN

A turn of events and a scam. Beware of AT&T they don't honor their agreements.

Because of the trucking work I need a phone with a certain level of use. I've been having trouble due to not receiving the level of service agreed upon causing problems with my job. It is the position of AT&T that they aren't responsible to provide the service to me; interesting.

The early termination fee is just a little less than probable attorney fees to correct such an issue. AT&T does not have the towers required to provide the service contracted yet and because of their disingenuous demeanor I can not believe they're claim they will have them by end of the year in our area.

Interesting that many were at the Verizon store for the same reason, if AT&T's customer base shrinks the promised towers won't be coming.

But I am pleased that I can now enjoy everything agreed upon from AT&T though it will be provided by Verizon.

Edited by bwire 6/26/2011 22:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page
srsu99
Posted 6/26/2011 22:58 (#1837208 - in reply to #1837197)
Subject: Re: A Scam...be careful

Central / West Texas
I guess it depends on the area. Here verizon and sprint and not good providers. ATT has many more towers than them here. Will have to agree on the not customer oriented office staff though.
iluvafarmer
Posted 6/26/2011 23:00 (#1837213 - in reply to #1837197)
Subject: Re: Venting some I guess...A Scam...be careful

Eastern Nebraska
<p>Alltel sold my wireless data card to AT&T and I never could get service with it... Called AT&T and they do not have any towers in my area and no plans to put any up here.... Got out under the 30 day deal.... You have 30 days from when your service is switched to drop it without any fee to you.... They tried to charge me a month of use because when I called them I was 40 miles from home where they had limited service... Told them I was not going to pay it they knew when they sent my data card that there were no towers in my area.... Have not heard anymore from them and no bill.... Yes I went to Verizon and got one cheaper with a better plan...<br /><br />Edited for spelling....</p>

Edited by iluvafarmer 6/27/2011 02:19
wildcat1000
Posted 6/26/2011 23:02 (#1837217 - in reply to #1837197)

C IL
And with this kind of company service, why would we wonder why folks go "postal". The world is essentially trying to escape accountability everywhere. We are expected to pay the endless bills, but the companies have no responsibility to provide a service!
TroyG
Posted 6/26/2011 23:05 (#1837226 - in reply to #1837197)
Subject: Re: A Scam...be careful

NC IA
I had someone at a cell phone store years ago show me a map of the area and where towers were located. When I moved, I went to my new local store and asked the see a map of the local towers. I got an @$$ chewing that those were confidential and employee reference only. They wanted the employee name and store location so that person could be fired. Funny how something as simple as helping a customer get better service would/could get an employee fired.
mike in sw mn
Posted 6/26/2011 23:24 (#1837272 - in reply to #1837197)

Walnut Grove MN USA
I wondered about that during the switchover. I switched to Verizon because I had bad reception with Unicell at my house and I could see the stupid tower!! After doing a little research I discovered that the technology used by ATT required towers closer together than what big V uses. Couldn't really see them putting a closer tower to me, plus most everybody I ever call had V already. Rarely have a dropped call anymore.
Lil' Hoss
Posted 6/26/2011 23:37 (#1837303 - in reply to #1837197)

NESD
We also had to make the switch from Alltel to AT&T, the first couple weeks after the switch were pretty good and we saw no real interuption in services, then we got a bill from Alltel with a $200 early termination fee. My wife called Alltel to see what was up with that and was told that we had a contract in place and that we had terminated early so we owed this fee, to which she told the customer service rep that we were forced to change from their service and that we would not be paying any early termination fees, the rep then said that she would reveiw our contract and let us know.

Then at about the two week mark the service went all to crap, E-mails and texts were taking 8 - 9 hours to go thru and coverage was terrible, our phones hardly worked where they had worked good a week before, When we had ordered our replacement phones at Alltel the rep showed us what our plan would be and that the monthly fees would be about $40 per month less for three smart phones. when we got the first bill it was $70 higher for 1/2 a month.

We decided that we had had enough so at day 22 of our 30 day grace period that we could drop the AT&T service without a penalty we went to Verizon and bought a plan with three smart phones and a air card, Well last week we got a bill from AT&T for $1400 in early termination fees for the three smart phones and a air card. My Wife called AT&T to tell them that we were well within the time period when we dropped their service and that we were not liable for this bill, the customer service rep told her that we had to pay this or it would be sent to collections and go on my credit score.

My wife ended the call with AT&T and immediately called the Public Utilities Commission to file a complaint, the person at the PUC asked her if we had paid the bill? My wife said the we had not, the person then said that we should not pay it and that we would be added to the list of complaints against Alltel and AT&T, and that there were approx 2500 complaint filed allready in SD.
KTinSD
Posted 6/27/2011 00:00 (#1837357 - in reply to #1837213)

East Central SD
I was also in an area that AT&T took over from Alltel. AT&T supplied me with a new phone, which was garbage, and service that was worse. People in this area switched providers left and right - I can't imagine how many people cancelled their AT&T service in this store alone. Customers were filling the Verizon store getting switched over within the 30 day time frame... I now have a good phone and great service (I hope I didn't just jinx myself).
tbeck
Posted 6/27/2011 00:00 (#1837359 - in reply to #1837197)
Subject: Same deal up here

Culbertson, MT
Not enough towers to AT&T to be workable for me, so had to switch. "Word on the street" is that AT&T is bleeding out around here. I don't miss 'em for my uses. However, mom stayed with them and is getting along alright.
McCartman
Posted 6/27/2011 00:17 (#1837383 - in reply to #1837197)

Both AT&T and Verizon have zoomable coverage maps right on their websites. If you didn't check them out thoroughly before signing your contract, I don't see how you can hold a beef against them. If their coverage does not extend to areas they have shaded as covered on their map, then you do have a legit complaint.

I wanted an iPhone ever since '07 when they first came out. But I was right on the fringe of an area they covered. I did not get one due to this - I knew that I would be taking a major chance on coverage around here, so I held off for a Verizon model. Had I chanced it and didn't get acceptable coverage, I certainly would not have expected them to build a tower just for me.
Erik in SD
Posted 6/27/2011 00:19 (#1837385 - in reply to #1837197)
Subject: RE: Venting some I guess...A Scam...be careful

East Central SD
I'm in the same area as KT, and I agree 100% Screw AT&T and all their BS garbage. Verizon has been great, I even get service at my in-laws in KS, in places they don't even have service!
iluvafarmer
Posted 6/27/2011 02:17 (#1837475 - in reply to #1837383)
Subject: Eric

Eastern Nebraska

I did not ask to be switched to AT&T... Alltel sold out after I had been with them for over 10 years.  I was very happy with Alltel and they sold my cell phone to Verizon and my wireless data card to AT&T... NOT MY CHOICE.... I guess I do have a right to complain... AT&T's coverage map is misleading... It does not really cover the area that it says it does... The lady at AT&T told me that they have very few towers of their own that they "rent" towers from other companies... They have terrible coverage and if they could not provide the services they should not have taken on the Alltel numbers.... I had issues with Verizon when I started with them ... such as the astronomical price but we worked through it and my contract with them is down to what I was  paying at Alltel for the same coverage.  I think a number of the people on here with a "beef" were switched to another company and not by their choice??? I could be wrong about that but that is my beef... it was not my choice... I would not have switched...  

Mike Shimek
Posted 6/27/2011 06:57 (#1837538 - in reply to #1837197)

High Springs, Florida
Went from an AT&T iPhone to a Verizon iPhone, here at work. I would REALLY like to have my AT&T phone back. I think the iPhone 3GS is a much better phone than the 4.
McCartman
Posted 6/27/2011 07:22 (#1837559 - in reply to #1837475)

My response wasn't directed at you, Betsy.
Erik in SD
Posted 6/27/2011 08:47 (#1837660 - in reply to #1837197)
Subject: Betsy-

East Central SD
I was on alltel for over 10 years also, and forced us to switch to ATT, which is what happened to everyone around here that was on alltel. I used to 30 day switching program to jump to Verizon because the ATT service was sooooo BAD. I didn't like being forced either, and had no problems with alltel, but I sure am glad they gave us the option to jump ship. Besides the horrible service, the phones ATT gave us were junk. Glad to have it all behind me.
Ray (ecks)
Posted 6/27/2011 11:21 (#1837858 - in reply to #1837197)
Subject: Verizon is not the answer you think it is

Just got off the phone with Verizon customer service after 45 minutes trying to get one of our phones to receive text messages. It won't receive at all from other carriers and is unreliable from Verizon phones. It is a new Iphone 4 that we recently put on. They quit offering customer tech service on weekends, finally said they wrote a ticket for the tech service last week because it was over the level of what they could do on the phone, would call within 48 hours, called back today, got no record of the ticket ever being written, supposedly wrote another today, will call back in 48 hours.....yea I bet.

They have separate rules and regulations for company store sales and private store sales, company stores won't honor warranty if the phone was purchased from a privately owned store. Some of the satisfaction guarantee's don't apply to phones if you got them from a privately owned store. Their on line bill pay is a pita to use, got several extra steps to go through to pay your bill (compared to At&t where we also have some service) Between Topeka and Manhattan my verizon service dropped a call 8 times in approximately 50 miles.

The only one that we've not had trouble with is T mobile. My wife had that when we got married and I am wishing we had stayed with them.
bwire
Posted 6/27/2011 12:25 (#1837934 - in reply to #1837559)

Rock County, MN

I am located smack dab in the middle of they're depicted 3G service area but I received only "1" bar of signal in the house and "2" bars in the street though intermittently; not steady.

Betsy is correct AT&T doesn't accurately report their capabilities, there are three towers in our vicinity but they are Verizon towers. Now that I have Verizon "3" bars in  the house and "5" in the street.

I think AT&T isn't paying enough to the tower owner to support their coverage claims. By the way AT&T purports they do have service available for 90% of the US but it's rather sly that they are including lineline usages when the topic is wireless.     

bwire
Posted 6/27/2011 12:35 (#1837943 - in reply to #1837858)
Subject: RE: Verizon is not the answer you think it is

Rock County, MN

Go to a Verizon or Apple store and change the SIMM card, I like the i4 phone

Verizon coverage http://www.verizonwireless.com/wireless-coverage-area-map.shtml

Text is carried on a separate frequency than voice  and you have keyed in *228 ??

Edited by bwire 6/27/2011 12:37
KTinSD
Posted 6/27/2011 12:45 (#1837955 - in reply to #1837858)
Subject: RE: Verizon is not the answer you think it is

East Central SD
So - Verizon isn't good either?!? Well so far my actual phone reliability has been excellent, only one dropped call since switching.

I guess picking a cell phone company must be like voting for a president... pick the one that sucks the least.....
McCartman
Posted 6/27/2011 13:24 (#1837992 - in reply to #1837197)

I'd say you have a legitimate complaint then. Of course, they could come back and say that you have 1 bar - that is service. :)

It has been my experience that everything seems to work pretty well even with only one bar - even on the Droid I had. At that level, battery life suffers more than anything - but voice and data have been reliable. Those observations are based on the Verizon network though - have never had AT&T which I have heard is not as good out in the sticks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)