AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fly program
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NEIndiana
Posted 6/17/2011 22:40 (#1823359)
Subject: Fly program

Columbia City, Indiana
I made one of those mineral feeders out of a plastic barrel with a big hole cut in the side, and I've been hanging 2 of those fly bullet things from TSC in the opening of the feeder. I coat them with permectrin about once a week. In the feeder I put a Moorman's IGR block. When they stick their head in to lick it, the fly bullets smear permectrin on their face and eyes. So far I think it's really helping a ton. They've gotten where they use it a lot, and looking closely at my cows tonight, I saw a grand total of 2 out of 19 head with one fly each on their eyes. HUGE improvement over last year. And we've had tons of moisture, so the flies are definitely there. The rest had flies buzzing around their heads but not landing. I'm attributing that to the fly dope that's getting smeared on their faces and around their eyes. Even the calves use this mineral feeder. I'd post pics but the camera on my phone took a crap a while back. I may take the camera out there if there seems to be any interest in pics.

What are you guys using, and what effect is it having? This is the first year using the fly bullets/plastic barrel feeder for me. I hang it in a tree with a chain, and move it with the cows when I move them to a different pasture.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)