AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shop ideas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

eddycreek
Posted 4/10/2011 10:38 (#1717329)
Subject: Shop ideas

West Ky, on Eddy Creek
We have an old tobacco barn that my dad converted to a small shop a few years ago. It is 48 long (12" square oak posts every 12') and 40' wide (16' center bay and 12' each side). Has a concrete floor in center and and 1 side. South center door was originally 10' high, he had taken out bottom tiers in center and made door 14'. Eaves are about 18', posts are solid, set on concrete piers. I need a shop big enough to get a 25' head and combine through the door, and be able to fold out a 12 row planter inside. Thinking about removing inside framework up to the eave for 1 shed and center, take out the row of posts between the 2, for the length of the barn. Add some kind of truss at the height of the eave and make the door whatever height possible to get under that. Then I would have 1 side 28'x48' at full height, the other shed left as is, which is where the work bench, elec, etc. are now. Now has wood siding which could use replacing, and tin roof is in need of some work, so would put on new metal siding new metal roof. Probably have to replace the lathing for the roof, and add some stringers for the siding. Would have to pour concrete in the remaining 12' x 48' shed.

All that being said, would I be better off to just build a new shop? If this one stays, it's still going to need new siding and roof. What do you think the costs would be to remodel this one as described? How much more expensive to take out all interior posts so it's 48'x40' clear inside?

Edited by eddycreek 4/10/2011 10:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)